Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal card decipher

Hi All,

Attached is a copy of the bottom half of my grandfather's medal card. I am unable to decipher the writing at the lower end, and have absolutely no idea where to look for the bit at the top, to the right of "Victory" in the medal table. I understand it refers to a roll but cannot find anything on Ancestry, National Archives or Findmypast.

If anyone has ANY idea what the handwritten inscriptions say, I would be very grateful to know.

Regards,

Ron

Medalcard.jpg

without name or number details cant say, apparently he received the BWM and Victory pair, the BWM was returned, possibly not entitled or more likely incorrect details.

may well have been duplicated issue possibly for a similar named individual.

Hi

BMW duplicate submission in roll 80?/102A on page 1, so it was returned with Certified Receipt Voucher 700/B on 28.12.22.

Under that is an Authority/Authorisation number (A/V.S 9764) the o with the / through it refers to the second medal roll listed.

regards

Robert

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the Forum.

22 hours ago, Ron McGeary said:

and have absolutely no idea where to look for the bit at the top, to the right of "Victory" in the medal table. I understand it refers to a roll but cannot find anything on Ancestry

It appears on a slip of paper in the front of the roll volume, for example

image.png.046e062c63e92b7cbe1a145c131de937.png

However, Ancestry don't appear to have linked the reference to the records, so you can't use it as a searchable term. Hopefully, you'll find what you are looking for by using a surname and/or service number from this search page - link.

Regards

Chris