Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A song about Horatio Bottomley?

yperman

I've come across a  passing reference to an army song about Horatio Bottomley -  it's not in 'The Long Trail'- and I wondered if anyone can help me with the lyrics? 

Many thanks,

Yperman

Here is a play about him.

Thank you museumtom 

• Admin

Might it be this one? 

Listening to it I doubt it.

Might it have been a corruption of "John Brown's body"? Just a thought as "John Bull's body gets rounder every day" would be the first line I would have written.

Tinternet search isn't throwing much up at all. Will have a browse through my copy of The Wipers Times.

David

It was a music hall ditty by Mark Sheridan called "Mr Bottomley - John Bull":

https://magforum.wordpress.com/2014/05/04/bottomley-the-swindling-john-bull/

Born in 1864 Sheridan was at the top of his profession by the turn of the century. many of his numbers became household favourites incuding "I Do Like To Be Beside the Seaside" "Who Were you With Last Night" and during WW1 "Belgium Put the Kibosh On the Kaiser". He died from a gunshot wound at Kelvin Grove Park in Glasgow in 1918, but mystery surrounds the circumstances of his death.

I have a couple CDs of his original recordings, which can be found on the internet although not one of the number mentioned.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Many thanks everyone -  really  appreciate your help. Yperman

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:41, DavidOwen said:

Might it be this one?  

Listening to it I doubt it.

Might it have been a corruption of "John Brown's body"? Just a thought as "John Bull's body gets rounder every day" would be the first line I would have written.

Tinternet search isn't throwing much up at all. Will have a browse through my copy of The Wipers Times.

David

Thank you very much for your trouble. If it was the one referred to it  was sung in the "100 days" advance by frontline soldiers - I suspect the words may have been "improved". These old recordings really are amazingly evocative. Yperman