Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Touch of Paradise in Hell by Jan Louagie

Margosh

I just finished reading this book, bought at a bargain price from Naval & Military Press. And what a bargain. A solid hardback volume of 374 pages.

Of course I knew of Talbot House and of Tubby Clayton but I didn't know much detail. Now I feel as if I had been there (not visited yet but certainly will do). The first section of the book is chronological and based on Tubby's letters mostly written home to his mother (how did he manage to write so often with such a busy schedule and from a war zone? I am lucky to get one word replies to text messages from my boys!). Starting with the concept of the House and setting up through to the final service in the chapel. Reading these pulled me right inside the building and with him on his journeys around his 'parish'. Section two takes the reader around the house and events which took place, again mostly in Tubby's words. Part three is about the people, the visitors and those for whom Talbot House existed, what it meant to them. Personal stories and memories.

My eyes watered more than once reading this book, I connected with every word. What characters. How hard Tubby worked. In fact I enjoyed it so much I have bought another two copies destined to be Christmas gifts. I can certainly recommend. 

Margaret

Edit: I should have mentioned that Jan Louagie is the Honorary Secretary of the Talbot House Association and I believe has been involved with TH for many years. A stirling job he has done of putting this together. 

Edited by Margosh

I agree... a wonderful insight into Talbot House. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, particularly as I was staying there in June with the book in my hand.

Andrew

Thank you for posting this, I had missed it, I am researching the clergy of the Portsea Parish , of whom Clayton was one. (one of about 30 who served as chaplains), and this looks well worth my time.

Keith

Just moved to the top of the “To read file”.

H.C.

1 hour ago, aengland said:

I agree... a wonderful insight into Talbot House. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, particularly as I was staying there in June with the book in my hand.

Andrew

Wonderful. Something I would now like to do. 

55 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Thank you for posting this, I had missed it, I am researching the clergy of the Portsea Parish , of whom Clayton was one. (one of about 30 who served as chaplains), and this looks well worth my time.

Keith

There are quite a few references to Portsea and some of the clergy though not in great detail (I think). He seems to have previously known, pre-war, quite a number of people he met over there. 

1 hour ago, hazelclark said:

Just moved to the top of the “To read file”.

H.C.

Good choice! I'm missing it already. 

I agree with everything that has been said ... it's an excellent book, and is a fitting tribute to Tubby Clayton and all of the staff at Talbot House.

Edited by The Scorer