Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. James Wood, RAMC - DCM?

kenmorrison

I'm having real trouble finding any award (or record) for this man. Can anyone help me please?

The following report was is from a local newspaper in Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

Dumfries & Galloway Standard 3 November 1915, Page 4.

D.C.M. FOR MONIAIVE SOLDIER.

The following is an extract from a letter received by Mr and Mrs Walter Wood, Dunreggan, Moniaive, from their son, Private James Wood, of the R.A.M.C.

Well, father and mother, here is bit of news that you may proud of. Out on the field of battle I have been recognised for bravery under open fire, by exposing myself for the purpose of rendering aid to my comrades. Much to my surprise yesterday the Brigade-General sent for me, and told me that had been instructed decorate me with the D.C.M. for bravery on the field—that is next to the V.C. I never knew anything about it, and could not understand what he wanted me for, so you may guess my surprise. I only thought I had done my duty to my comrades, but it is nice to think that the matter had been noticed by my superior officers the field. So it is some reward for all my suffering.

Private James Wood is about 34 years age, and previous to the outbreak war was in Canada. While attending his wounded companions he was very severely wounded himself in the hip, with the result that he was sent home, and is now filling the position of clerk in the Quartermaster’s stores at the base at Martin’s Plain, Shorncliffe, Kent.

Can any RAMC experts throw any light?

Ken

Edited by kenmorrison

Cheers Craig.

I'm still wondering if it might be my man, however his medal card has Richard J. Wood so...……….

Ken

2 minutes ago, kenmorrison said:

Cheers Craig.

I'm still wondering if it might be my man, however his medal card has Richard J. Wood so...……….

Ken

It is odd but I can't see any other RAMC men called Wood in the same time frame.

Craig

Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914 - 1920.  By R W Walker.

Royal Army Medical Corps.

Sjt., 1915  J W Wood                           LG 14/11/1916.

Cpl.,1793  R J Wood                           LG 30/6/ 1915.

St.Sjt (A/QMS)  421003    T Wood      LG 28/3/1918.

Bob