Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

researchingreg

RAF Centenary Fly Past today over London

researchingreg

To celebrate 100 years of the RAF there was a flypast of 100 aircraft over London today and not one of the planes was a WW1 replica/equivalent to represent the start of the RAF. Also not one bi-plane. The oldest planes were WW2 vintage. 

David Filsell

At mid-afternoon the sound of Merlin engines preceeded the sight of the Lancaster flanked by two Spitfires on either side over the Kingston/ Wimbledon border. What a joy.

Annette Carson
49 minutes ago, researchingreg said:

To celebrate 100 years of the RAF there was a flypast of 100 aircraft over London today and not one of the planes was a WW1 replica/equivalent to represent the start of the RAF. Also not one bi-plane. The oldest planes were WW2 vintage. 

My sentiments entirely. 

Of course I appreciate the preservation of those wonderful iconic aircraft of the RAF, but I've been hugely disappointed that the centenary in general has failed to commemorate the serious business of flying military aeroplanes in the Great War. There's always a lot of 'ooh aah how primitive', and 'look at the Red Baron dogfighting' ... but I feel the media have done no justice to the real spirit - and achievements and machines - of the aerial war in 1914-18. 

DavidOwen

The fly past seemed a spectacle on the TV - I agree that it was sad that no thing earlier than ww2 featured but I suspect that is because the RAF do not possess any flying examples. To include them would have meant bringing non-service personnel into the mix and the organisation of the event seemed to be a mammoth task without added complication.

I would like to visit the WW1 exhibition at RAF Scampton ( http://www.rafscampton.co.uk/ )which does include examples of ww1 aircraft (replicas I would think) but sadly as I do not possess photographic ID I cannot gain access. 

Alan24
6 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

I would like to visit the WW1 exhibition at RAF Scampton ( http://www.rafscampton.co.uk/ )which does include examples of ww1 aircraft (replicas I would think) but sadly as I do not possess photographic ID I cannot gain access. 

Have you seen the ww1 collection at Hendon? The Battle of Britain Hall is also superb.

Alan. 

DavidOwen
Just now, Alan24 said:

Have you seen the ww1 collection at Hendon? The Battle of Britain Hall is also superb.

Alan. 

Alan

Last time I visited Hendon was 42 years ago and the displays then were truly mind blowing!

Regards

David

chaz

the reason for no WW1 planes was given a couple of times during the coverage.

during the planning of the flypast the gaps between the individual groups was 5 seconds. the main force congregated in a holding area over the north sea,

the planners could not give a total quantity of planes for the fly past because of the 5 second rule, any plane that was not on time had to drop out.

initially holding over the North Sea the planners had simulation flight path then once over the 'target' area were dispersed onto various pre planned flight paths to allow safe gaps between groups before dispersing back to their bases.

presumably , with Heathrow, Gatwick, London City , Luton and Northolt probably amongst other minor airfields there was no moving off the planned route .

SE5A top speed..222kmph

chinook top speed..315kmph   the slowest on display

KevinBattle

There was also a static display, including a Harrier, so perhaps in mind that WW1 aircraft are also 100 years old and very slow, there wasn't any possibility of risking any in the flypast.

They'd probably squeak away WW1 as mainly RFC/RNAS with RAF only in for 6 months!

The fly past was good, and the station keeping of 22 Tornados impeccable.

Only awful bit was the commentary which was simplistic and out of synch with the aircraft. The TV filming was also incompetent, but typical BBC standard nowadays Hurrumph!

researchingreg

My uncle who was an RFC/RAF pilot joined the RAF after a plane crash on 22 March 1918 while he was in hospital. I think they could have at least a nod to the formation of the RAF on 1 April 1918 by showing what they flew. It would not have been difficult after the fly past with much faster aircraft to end up with a WW1 replica flying over London in last place to overcome the precision timing difficulties. The commentary could have been "last but not least this is how the RAF started"

alex revell

I agree, I think the question of the fly past of WW1 aeroplanes was the problem with speed. and the fact that other than RAF personnel would have had to be involved in the piloting. The fantastic planning  of the fly past was staggering and could only have been managed and orchestrated by the RAF.  I thought the historical  coverage, from our point of view - admittedly a parochial one - was totally inadequate. For an illustration of ww1 aeroplanes and those of between the wars (when  the RAF, apart from its active service in the middle east etc., was considered to be the 'finest flying club in the world.')  a trip to Shuttleworth, which could have shown the flying of WW1  and between the wars aeroplanes,  or even the RAF museum, would have been  much better than the same  tired old shots from the IWM, trotted out yet again.  I thought the coverage was very lightweight and  trivialised the whole story of the RAF in WW1 and between the wars. It gave the general public no real knowledge or insight of the role of RAF in the last eight months of the war, never even mentioned the seven VCs won, let alone the other eleven won by the RFC, surely worth a mention. At least we were spared the ubiquitous mention of the Red Baron - or did I nod off at that point. :-) 

charlie962

Disappointing indeed that WW1 wasn't better covered.

I suspect the lighter aircraft would have had to go first because of the dangers of residual air turbulence (wake turbulence) from the bigger jets ? With their very slow speed it would have been very difficult to coordinate.  But very difficult doesn't mean impossible.

Surely a number of display pilots quallified to fly the v.old aircraft are at least ex-RAF.

Charlie

Alan24

I was gutted to learn late last night that the 3 Spitfires & 2 Hurricanes went on to land at Eastleigh Airport, leaving again at 7pm for home.

My train left Eastleigh at 18.55...if I'd known I'd stayed on to see them.

Plenty of photos on the Daily Echo website.

Alan.

Steven Broomfield
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

I was gutted to learn late last night that the 3 Spitfires & 2 Hurricanes went on to land at Eastleigh Airport, leaving again at 7pm for home.

My train left Eastleigh at 18.55...if I'd known I'd stayed on to see them.

Plenty of photos on the Daily Echo website.

Alan.

I think you mean 'Southampton' Airport :angry: (For non-residents of God's Own Borough, although the airport is in Eastleigh, the powers that be insist on calling it 'Southampton Airport', in the same way that the Rose Ageas Bowl is described as being in Southampton)

(And I suspect I was arrived on the same train on which you departed)

Edited by Steven Broomfield

Alan24
4 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I think you mean 'Southampton' Airport :angry: (For non-residents of God's Own Borough, although the airport is in Eastleigh, the powers that be insist on calling it 'Southampton Airport', in the same way that the Rose Ageas Bowl is described as being in Southampton)

(And I suspect I was arrived on the same train on which you departed)

We always called it Eastleigh Airport when I was a kid. Not sure if the station was ever called Eastleigh but the Parkway bit is a recent addition. 

It opened as Atlantic Park Hostel Halt in 1929 (borrowed Steve's extensive library for that one!)

I think the boundary between Eastleigh and Soton crosses the runway at 90 degrees about its mid length.

I wonder if we have a local Councillor who would like to start the campaign to rename it? Bishopstoke Aerodrome perhaps...?

Regards

Alan. 

Steven Broomfield

I know a local Councillor who, in his previous days as a local Councillor (until the electorate saw the light) tried to start a campaign running to rename it R J Mitchell Airport, seeing that the Spitfire's maiden flight was from the site. Sadly, I think everyone was afraid of upsetting our European partners.

pete-c
On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:17, Annette Carson said:

My sentiments entirely. 

Of course I appreciate the preservation of those wonderful iconic aircraft of the RAF, but I've been hugely disappointed that the centenary in general has failed to commemorate the serious business of flying military aeroplanes in the Great War. There's always a lot of 'ooh aah how primitive', and 'look at the Red Baron dogfighting' ... but I feel the media have done no justice to the real spirit - and achievements and machines - of the aerial war in 1914-18. 

I was in Trafalgar Square to view the flypast and I must say it was a fantastic sight: a spectacle the like of which I doubt I will ever witness again.  And the sight of so many Typhoons in formation will more than likely never be seen again.   As to the reasons why there were no representative aircraft from the 1914-18 period in the flypast, I think previous comments have covered that well enough.   As to why the media in general failed to give more prominence to the roles of the RFC and RNAS, I guess this was simply because this event marked the formation of the RAF - with everything prior to April 1st 1918 tending to be pushed into the background.   If the event had been a celebration of military flying during the whole of the First World War, then we would obviously have something to complain about. 

Annette, you are so right about the 'meeja' - they are only interested in looking for the easy sound-bite - or its visual equivalent - Red Baron etc. 

As to the future, it falls to all of us to keep doing our best to promote the study of military aviation during the 1914-18 period - especially with regard to the younger generations for whom WW1 is probably on a par historically with the Trojan Wars.   In the meantime, I would urge everyone to try and get along to either Stow Maries or Old Warden this Summer to see for themselves just how our forebears fought the 14-18 Air War.

Howard
On 11/07/2018 at 12:16, charlie962 said:

Surely a number of display pilots quallified to fly the v.old aircraft are at least ex-RAF.

Pilots are not the issue, you cannot fly civil owned single engine aircraft over London. In the current safety climate, it is odd that even military owned ones can and do, mind you, the outcry if they banned the BBMF singles over London would be huge.

Howard

pjm55
1 hour ago, Howard said:

Pilots are not the issue, you cannot fly civil owned single engine aircraft over London. In the current safety climate, it is odd that even military owned ones can and do, mind you, the outcry if they banned the BBMF singles over London would be huge.

Howard

I believe the military have to get prior approval for each fly past involving single engined aircraft.  And it's not just BBMF.  The Red Arrows Hawks are single engine.