Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

do we have any GWF living/visiting Gibralter ?

BIFFO

headstone photo required,

of a poor Welshman who never made it home :poppy:

Hello Bob,thank you for offer :thumbsup:

IVOR GRIFFITHS

REGIMENT NUMBER 445

WELSH REGIMENT

GIBRALTER NORTH FRONT CEMT

after seeing an earlier post have written to war graves photo project

Biffo:poppy:

Dear All,

I have the 15 Trio to Albert Pepperell (S. Lt., RNR on Star; Lt., RNVR on BWM and Victory), who spent his War aboard HMY Marynthea.

Earlier in the War, a Rating died during Irish Sea operations. The only other fatality occured when "Marynthea" shifted to the Mediterranean Theatre, and the Paymaster died. 

He (whose name I cannot recall, but is on an earlier thread) was buried at Gibraltar. His headstone would round off the saga of a wartime yacht, rented by the Admiralty.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Biffo

I have GRIFFITHS but cannot access until the weekend as I',m in France, so please send address and I'll send when I GET home

Bob

now your a top man :thumbsup:

:poppy:

On 10/07/2018 at 15:02, BIFFO said:

headstone photo required,

of a poor Welshman who never made it home :poppy:

Will this do Biffo?

IMG_0398.jpg

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Dear Bob,

The HMY Marynthea officer who died during the Great War (1917?) and was buried at Gibraltar, was Paymaster, RNR, Joseph J. Pearce.

A photo of his headstone would add much interest to my Lt Pepperell, RNVR saga. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

that'll do nicely thank you Terry

so that's two  top men :thumbsup:

while I'm on a good run what about photo of

ARTHUR DAVIES

5101 WELSH REEGIMENT

HELLES MEMORIAL 

1 hour ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Bob,

The HMY Marynthea officer who died during the Great War (1917?) and was buried at Gibraltar, was Paymaster, RNR, Joseph J. Pearce.

A photo of his headstone would add much interest to my Lt Pepperell, RNVR saga. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim

I have photographed all (I think) of the WW1 headstones in North Front cemetery, as well as private memorials, and do not have your man. I could have missed it, but checking the CWGC records he is not listed. Died I think 7 May 1917.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Dear All, and Terry,

The 7 May 1917 date seems right.

My original manuscript is currently lost, thanks to a computer failure, but the hard-drive may yet be rescued. Therefore, I was going on a 1916 Navy List entry for the name of the wretched Paymaster J. J. Pearce, who died of illness. 

From what you say, his headstone has not survived either, which is a great shame, but cannot be helped. Many thanks for going to the not inconsiderable trouble of looking. Much appreciated! At least the "Going to War in a Yacht" S. Lt., RNR / Lt., RNVR 15 Trio for A. Pepperell survives!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Biffo

I should have DAVIES and will check when I get home Saturday, I see you have a good shot of Griffiths so I won't send mine

Bob

I'll be in Gibraltar in a couple of weeks, for a couple of hours, and am looking for my g/g grandfather's grave in the North Front cemetery.

If possible I will get some photos of other graves, so I'll post details when I am back.

Thank you for your kind  offer:thumbsup:

Terry Reeves sent one