Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

familyhistoryman

I need help with information on the 2nd Line. 3rd West Lancashire Field Ambulance. I am researching Arthur Capstick who attested in March 1915 at Blackpool (No 1975). He was later attached to the 65th Field Ambulance when he died of wounds on 7 Sep 1918

Tony

57 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

Have you seen the war diary? It should be available on Ancestry and/or the National Archives website. 

Ken

Not yet seen the war diaries

Tony

Not seeing a diary for 2/3 West Lancs Field Ambulance on TNA. They have 1/3, 3/2, & 2/1. Perhaps the 2/3 WLFA was a home establishment and men were moved to EG 1/3 WLFA for sevice abroad.

Or you want 3/2 WLFA?

65 FA does report 3 killed and 2 wounded 7/9/1918 when a shell hit one of the huts (map ref given).

That would mean he died of wounds received on 7/9/18 but could have died later on the same day. I see he was originally buried as an UBS.

TEW

Thanks for your help with this. I posted the message whilst I am visiting my daughter who lives in Germany. I will be checking the local newspapers when in rest home to see if there is a report of his death

Tony

2/3 WLFA was renamed 64 FA for overseas service, similarly 3/3 WLFA became 65 FA. They both served with 21 Division.

The War Diary of 21 Div's ADMS has:

7.9.18 A direct hit on ADS of 65 FA killed 3 of the personnel & wounded 9.

Dave

Edited by DaveR

Dave

Thanks for the explanation on the 2/3 WLFA

Tony

64 FA dairy starts 29/8/1915 Witley Camp. They left Southampton for Le Havre 10/9/1915 on 2 different vessels both arriving 11/9/1915. No obvious lists of men being transferred, promoted, wounded etc. But didn't check every page.

TEW

Thanks

Tony

Capstick attested with 3WLFA and was mobilised with 65 FA the same day. There's no clear date break between enlisting with 2/3WLFA and 3/3WLFA. Up until leaving Blackpool it could have been with either. U.18.d.2.8 is the map reference of the Advanced Dressing Station so presumably Capstick was in the Tent Subdivision.