Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British 1918 6pr shell markings

kylet183

Hi all,

I’ve recently come across a 1918 dated 6pr shell which I believe to be the type used in the British Tanks. (Which is pretty lucky to find in Australia...)

I havnt been able to find information anywhere regarding the “III” and what that would mean regarding what gun this shell was meant for?

The 1918 date makes me think it would have been used in a mk4 or mk5 tank with the shorter barrel 6 pound gun? Or could it have been made late but still intended for an earlier model tank?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

F81FDFF5-400F-46D2-9154-B3B2AF8E7834.jpeg

The 'III' means it's a Mark 3 6 Pounder Hotchkiss cartridge case. (Not shell) The 6 Pounder Hotchkiss gun was used by the Marks I to IV British tanks, but it was primarily a naval weapon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_6-pounder_Hotchkiss

AFAIK there isn't a specific marking that indicates tank use.

Edited by peregrinvs

I think the 'K' indicates Kynoch manufacture.

13 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

The 'III' means it's a Mark 3 6 Pounder Hotchkiss cartridge case. (Not shell) The 6 Pounder Hotchkiss gun was used by the Marks I to IV British tanks, but it was primarily a naval weapon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_6-pounder_Hotchkiss

AFAIK there isn't a specific marking that indicates tank use.

I’ve tried to research as much as I can to distinguish if this case is naval or land service and it seems naval cases were either stamped “N” for naval service or were stamped with an anchor. Regarding the tank guns, the 6 pounder Hotchkiss was replaced in the mkIV and V tanks with the QF 6 pounder cwt which had a shorter barrel. The Original Hotchkiss 6pdr was out of date by 1915-16 so I was guessing that my case looks to be one produced for use in a tank? I think it’s just the mkIII that stumps me.

thanks!

Both the 6 Pounder 8cwt (naval and early tank) and 6cwt (tank) versions of the Hotchkiss were still in use in 1918. They were still using both guns in WWII as second line weapons. 6cwt ammunition for the tank gun in WWI was distinguished by the case being painted half its length in black lacquer. The 6wt gun needed reduced charge ammunition because of the reduced length barrel, so it was important not to fire full charge 8cwt ammunition in it. AFAIK there's no way to distinguish a WWI 6cwt loaded case if the lacquer's been polished off.

There's some interesting pictures on the British Ordnance Collectors Network forum of a 1918 dated MkIII 6 Pounder Hotchkiss case with stencilled markings on the side showing it was reloaded in 1940 for use in a 6cwt gun. The old tank guns were taken out of storage and placed in pillboxes for invasion defence.

There's also a 1938 dated MkV case on the WD Militaria website. I assume for use in a second line naval gun.

Edited by peregrinvs