Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sidney Ellerington 1887-1945

Hi

I have seen several old threads, 2010/2011, regarding my partners grandfather Sidney Ellerington, one in particular was from a 'guest' who was also called Sidney Ellerington and advised that he was also a grandson and had his grandfathers medals.  I believe he will be the son of either Cyril, Alfred or Sidney, my partner is the son of Ronald, I have quite a lot of informaton about Sgt Sidney Ellerington during WW1 and would love to make contact.  If anyone knows him or is also related please make contact it would be great to swap information etc.

His military history is that he joined the 18th Hussars of the Line Regular Army as a boy on 27/09/1904 and was discharged as no longer required in 1910.  He then enlisted in the East Yorkshire Territorial Force on 11/03/1912 and was embodied 5/8/1914, he was transferred to York and Lancs Regiment on 30/11/1918 and was discharged on 15/2/1919.

He was awarded several medals; the Military Medal, 1914-1915 Star, British War and Victory Medal and the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal, he finished his service as a Sgt in the East Yorkshre Regiment and wrestled under the name of Kelly in the forces.

Sidney was regarded a hero for running 9 miles with a stretcher carrying a wounded comrade while under fire and according to an article written by a comrade should have been awarded a VC for this and other equally brave feats.

If anyone can offer any further information please let me know.

Edited by Guest
Information added