Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regiment ?

alan jones

Hello , I might be asking for the impossible here but would ideally like to get some idea of which regiment this scan [albeit poor } the soldier might belong to .The photo was taken at what looks like a Rememberance Day service or possibly a funeral at a Devon village , they are all gathered around a memorial which says " Lest We Forget " .I wished I could get a better scan for you . 

Any suggestions welcomed .

Regards 

Alan

chitt  soldier.jpg

That's...going to be tough.

For starters, do you know who this person is? If he's a known person we can likely get you a regiment. If he's just some face in the crowd it's going to be much, much more difficult.

Possibly his hat is not civilian and could tie him to a unit? It would be a rather distinctive chapeau for Army life.

It definitely looks like he is wearing an army uniform, but apart from that I've got nothing. We'd really need a better quality scan to make heads or tails of this.

Sorry , that is all I have , he is just a face in the crowd and I noticed his distinctive uniform , he is at the back of the crowd which did not help with scanning either .

Regards 

Alan

Hi Alan

How about putting the whole scan on here, rather than blowing it up, then we can get a better idea of the location it was taken in. There is then the chance somebody might have researched the scenario before and can come up with some pointers as to where it is.

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Looks like a slouch hat which could indicate an Australian regiment.

Not necessarily: could be a pre-1908 Volunteer or Yeomanry outfit or Frontiersmen or several other possibilities.