Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Sjack91

Battlefield tour advice

Sjack91

Good evening

I am heading over to Israel in October for the Scotland vs Israel match and I am trying to sort my itinerary to get as much WW1 places of interest from the trip as possible. I have listed my details below but I am looking for suggestions of things to do close to Tel Aviv on the Friday afternoon and for the full day Saturday as our flight is not until 21.00 the Saturday evening. I was torn between a visit to Junction station in the south on the Friday. We will stop at nearby Beersheba on the Thursday on our way from Eilat to Tel Aviv and hope to do a quick stop at the new museum there but wont have enough time to do much else as our bus leaves Tel Aviv for the match in Haifa at 4pm. Would it be worth visiting Junction station on the Friday afternoon from Tel Aviv (approx travel time?)? For the Saturday I was thinking Jerusalem to see the trenches posted on a previous thread. I have been to a few places before highlighted on the link attached

Tuesday- Arrive and drive to Eilat

Wednesday- Full day tour to Petra. (organised tour)

Thursday- Depart Eilat early morning, quick stop in Beersheba, hope to arrive Tel Aviv around 1pm bus to Haifa at 4pm for match

Friday- No plans. Looking for suggestions near to Tel Aviv

Saturday- No plans open to suggestions

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Stuart

squirrel
Posted (edited)

British War Cemetery just outside Jerusalem.

Edited by squirrel

Sjack91

Thanks Squirrel. I was there last time I visited.

michaeldr

11 hours ago, Sjack91 said:

Friday- No plans. Looking for suggestions near to Tel Aviv

Stuart,

Have a look at the tour info here from post 45 onwards - https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/157418-52nd-lowland-division-–-crossing-the-auja/?page=2 and see if that fits your bill

If you decide that it does, then please be aware that public transport will shut down on Friday afternoon and the return journey from Ten Mills (post No.49) may have to be made by taxi.

Alternatively, you could reverse the tour, ending at the 157th Brigade column and walk along the promenade to your hotel and a well earned rest

If I can be of further assistance then please let me know

regards

Michael

Sjack91

Michael as per usual this is excellent information. It sounds like a good plan for the Friday. I am going to to read the link fully and have a look at my notes to piece the story together in my mind. Really appreciate this and I am sure that I will be asking you a question or two. 

The trenches mentioned in another topic around Jerusalem are they worth a visit? Thinking possibly Jerusalem for the Saturday.

thanks again for the time

Stuart

michaeldr
11 hours ago, Sjack91 said:

The trenches mentioned in another topic around Jerusalem are they worth a visit? Thinking possibly Jerusalem for the Saturday.

They certainly are.

The only problem would be navigating, and I'm afraid that all I can suggest in that respect is:

contact the contributors to that other thread for their advice and guidance

and it's probably a good idea if you intend driving to use the WAZE app on your mobile telephone

Good luck

Michael

assafx

Stuart

As Micahel said, in the tel aviv area Ten Mills is the best option also in terms of public transportation.

If you'll decide to be in the Jerusalem area, you also have Nebi Samwil, a battlefield that the 52nd division took a major part in.

I'm currently in the long process of turning my M.A thesis, Dealing with the fighting at the site, into a book.

So if you'll decide to go to Jerusalem then send me a PM and i'll do my best to meet with you at the site.

Assaf

Sjack91

Assaf 

thank you you very much for the information. We are going to take Michaels advice for the Friday and do the walking tour of Ten Mills. I have been studying the links that Michael attached and they are most interesting.

I have had a look online at the area you have suggested for the Saturday and it looks as though it would be worth a visit. Do you recommend doing it with anything else? I do fancy the trenches but not sure how far that is from Nebi Samwill? If possible it would be great to meet you there as a battlefield account from someone like yourself could not be missed.

I will message you.

kind regards 

Stuart

assafx

Hi,

The trenches, at least those near Yad Vashem',  are about  about 15 min car drive from Nebi Samwil.

I think you can do both and so far the date is free, so i'll be able to be there if you want.

Assaf

Sjack91

Assaf

i have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and thanks to all for taking the time to respond.

Thanks

Stuart

Sjack91

The book I am reading the 'The London men in Palestine' are just making there way along the Roman Road to relieve the Scots at Nebi Samvil (samwill). Very interesting account.

Stuart 

assafx

In the PEF maps, that the British used in 1917,  the term "Roman Road" is quite confusing.

In most cases this road was a narrow trail.

Assaf

Sjack91

The book also describes it as a trail Assaf.

"The "Roman Road" must have deteriorated considerably since the time the legions trod it, for it was but a tract differing only from the country on either side by being clear of loose rocks."

It is an excellent read. Very easy to understand.

Eran Tearosh

Hi Stuart,

Seems your plans for Thursday are a bit optomistic.... Will you be driving a rental?

You should allow 4.5-5 hours of direct drive from Eilat to Tel-Aviv. Add a stop or two, plus a visit to the mini-museum in Beersheba (I'm not very fond of it, to say the least...), which is a 45-60 minute's visit, and to get to Tel-Aviv by 1pm? As I wrote - a bit optimistic. To do that, you'll have to leave Eilat really early. In your place, I would skip Junction Station - although I was personally involved in the restoration of the Memorial Obelisk there, it's simply not worth your time when you're under these time limitations.

Near Tel-Aviv: Michael's suggestions for the Auja crossings are of course the obvious choice. As you have a full day (And assuming you will have a rental) I can add to the recommendations the battlefields east of Ashdod (then Esdud). See this thread (By the time you'll be there, the third signpost should be up - alas, the signposts are in Hebrew...):

The third signpost will be dedicated to the battles of Burkah & Brown hill, fought by the 156th brigade, on November 12th, 1917, a couple of days after the 157th brigade fought and captured those hills where the signposts are displayed. They are on one of the hills captured by the 157th, and overlooking the battlefield of the 156th. Here a relevant GWF thread:  

Not far is the battlefield of El-Mughar, where the third brigade of the 52nd Division, the 155th brigade, fought on November 14th. I am involved in signposting this battlefield as well, but I cannot guarantee the work will be done by the time you'll be here. Not far is (10-15 minutes drive) is Junction Station. if you plan for this day - It's possible. 

There are several GWF threads regarding El Mughar.

Continuing to concentrate on scots - On your way to Jerusalem, you can stop at the battlefield of El-Burj, fought on December 1st. 1917. A young scot officer, SHP Boughey, won a VC for his actions that night. I live only a few minutes drive from that battlefield. The road from there to Nebi Samuel (Road 443, 'The Passage of Horon') is one of the most complicated and fascinating battlefields of the Palestine Campaign.

If it works out, I'll be delighted to help on either of these days

Eran

Sjack91

Eran

Thank you as always for the excellent information.

I know that we are being very optimistic with what we are trying to do at the start of the trip but our flight changed and has put us in abit of a position. We do not arrive into Tel Aviv until 20.45 on the Tuesday evening and our tour from Eilat to Petra leaves at 6.30 AM on the Wednesday morning. Not much time for sleep but it is either that or no Petra? When we travel back up on the Thursday we will be leaving early and will only stop in Beersheba if we feel we have time. (our bus leaves for the match in Haifa around 5pm). I have been before so not desperate to go again and if you are saying that the new museum is not the best. It is a rental car that we have.

I really appreciate the advice on where to visit. On the Friday I am going to take Michaels advice and stay local in Tel Aviv. Do a walking tour of Ten mills and take our time to see that. On the Saturday I have been communicating with Assaf and going to meet him and visit Nebi Samwill and the trenches that you posted about a while back on the forum. This gives us a good day with plenty time to get back to catch our flight at 21.30 on the Saturday evening.

I am going to look over the information you have sent. It is so interesting and I am so greatful for the help and offers of tours etc when I am there.

When I was there last time Avi conducted a fantastic tour and really got me hooked on the theatre of war over there. I wasn't sure if I would ever get the opportunity to return to Israel especially not so soon so just want to make the most of every hour that I have there.

Stuart