Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt C H Evans, 2nd Border Regiment

Perth Digger

Could anyone with Wylly's history of the Border Regiment please let me know what he says about the death, as a prisoner, of 2nd Lt Charles Heyland EVANS, at Kruiseeke on 26 October 1914? I am interested in the source of the story. There is no mention of it in Evans' Service Record, although there is a statement from Pvte Joseph Gray, D Coy, 6th Platoon, 2nd Border Regiment, given while in Chelsea VAD Hospital, Eaton Place, on 17 May 1915, that he saw Evans shot through the forehead: 'also many men were killed, hardly any escaped, as the Germans bayonetted the wounded'.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike this is what it says, 

Second lieutenant Evans was wounded and captured on the 26th October and was shot by the Germans after capture for trying to defend a man of the Regiment whom the enemy were ill treating. 

Regards Mike 

Hi Mike

Many thanks for this. I presume Wylly probably got this from someone in the regiment. There is no evidence that Evans' family knew of the exact circumstances. Do you know if there is a Border Regiment Association that may have more details?

Thanks again.

Mike

Yes there is the museum at Carlisle Castle sorry I am on my phone and just about to set off for work so doing this hastily, so can't attach a link sorry hopefully someone with more time can help. 

Mike

Museum site is:

https://www.cumbriasmuseumofmilitarylife.org

The castle is also the HQ of the Regimental Association.

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS

Thanks, Mike and Dave. I'll follow it up. 

Enjoy your day at work, Mike, says the retiree!

Mike

Thanks, Phil. He was already wounded when captured and was reported wounded and missing.

Mike

I appreciate that, Mike - I was just wondering whether the circumstances of his death, as you outline, count as Killed in Action. After all, he was killed while taking aggressive action in the face of an armed and violent enemy!

PS - Happy memories of quiet drinks on balmy evenings down at Sorrento Marina.:thumbsup:

Yes, Phil, he was, if the report is right, definitely killed in action.

Balmy evenings? Usually windy and too hot for me. It’s a nice place to retire to, though.

I’m guessing, but I think Wylly picked up the information from returning POWs after the war. Possibly from an officer (one, Sleigh, I think), was captured that day.

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger

• 2 months later...

Phil and Dave

Just to let you know that the article on Evans is now available on my website (below).

Thanks again for your help.

Mike