Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Member of Veterinary corps - Haydon

FenClare

Dear All

Can anyone help locate a soldier who served in the Veterinary corps  during WW1 and whose name was Haydon?  I think he survived the war.  He was in action during the Somme offensive. I think that he came from the London area.  He had been in some occupation where horses were involved ie pulling drays etc

Any advice gratefully received.

FenClare

Fenclare,

Ancestry has medal index cards for only 2 AVC men named Haydon;-

Private George Haydon SE/19402

Serjeant Walter E. Haydon SE/152

The 'SE' before their numbers show that they were specially enlisted, probably to look after horses.

Regards,

Alf McM

Alf beat me to it but I have only these two. However there are some more with name Hayden so please verify spelling.

We need a bit more to distinguish him. 'Somme' covers a lot of campaigning.

Edit --  Walter Haydon was mentioned in Haig's despatch  8/11/18, 7th Veterinary Hospital

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

• 7 months later...
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:17, charlie962 said:

Alf beat me to it but I have only these two. However there are some more with name Hayden so please verify spelling.

We need a bit more to distinguish him. 'Somme' covers a lot of campaigning.

Edit --  Walter Haydon was mentioned in Haig's despatch  8/11/18, 7th Veterinary Hospital

Charlie

Dear Charlie

Apologies for the long delay in replying to this but the last months have been busy and fraught so have only now has a chance to check GWF. Delighted to hear that Walter Haydon who my friend thinks is indeed his ancestor [Great Grandfather] was mentioned in a despatch by Haig! Could you help me get hold of it? Where was 7th Veterinary Hospital located? This was so close to the Armistice it is fascinating! Thank you for turning this up!

FenClare

The War Diary for 7 Veterinary Hospital for August to December 1918 is available for downlod at at T.N.A. for a small fee. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/5df3c1ba35d7403aaa279e6ad1d05a78  This will tell you exactly where the hospital was on any given day. Unlike most war diaries it has been typed out, so is very easy to read. Walter Haydon is mentioned by name.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
added Walter mentioned by name

Brilliant! My friend will be delighted - we would  never have found this without your help

Thank you! Another coup for the Forum!

Regards

FenClare