Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemeteries in London

Arthur J

Can anyone help I will be in London on Wednesay 12 Jan 2005 - I need simple directions to the following cemeteries

City of London & Tower Hamlets Cemetery

Hammersmith Old Cemetery

Kensal Green (St Mary's RC Cemetery)

Greenwich Cemetery

Lewisham (Ladywell) Cemetery

Thanks in anticipation

Travel from Northern Ireland, will be staying in hotel in Leicester Square, will be depending on public transport.

City of London

Leicester Sq to Liverpool St (underground)

Liverpool St to Manor Park (overground train to Shenfield)

Out of station turn left into Forest Drive

As you walk down the road you will see the entrance to the cemetery, it is rather huge...

John

Lewisham Ladywell Cemy

You need to get to Ladywell station have no idea how as its not in my area and I am looking on a map :D

At LAdywell station you need Ladywell road stay on it all the way and you will see the War Memorial and behind that is the cemetery

John

Ladywell Cemetery - used to live next to it.

Charing Cross to Ladywell. Turn left out of station approach and cemetery is about four hundred yards ahead - Chudleigh Rd to left and Adelaide Avenue to right. Take the centre road and you will come to the cemetery.

Hammersmith Cemy

The only one I can find is near Barons Court tube station, I dont know if its the right one I am afraid

John

The only other comment I can make is that you haven't a hope in Hell of visiting them all in one day (if that was the idea) especially with the short daylight we have at the moment.

Hammersmith (Barons Court tube) is nearest to central London. Kensal Green (Kensal Green tube) is near central London.

This Gendocs page will give you the street for each cemetery.

Enter each street in turn into the search page here to get a local map.

Enter your start and finish points into the journey planner here to get public transport routing for your journey. The planner is a remarkable piece of work. It can handle any combination of bus, train, tram and river boat, and will even give you walking times for the bits you have to do by yourself. It is not infallible because the computing problem is complex, but it is very good.

I think you will be doing well if you can complete two in a day. Getting around London always takes longer than one imagines, and it can take ages to find a plot in these old cemeteries.

:D Thanks everyone.

I am only making a short visit to go to Kew, arrive on Wednesday, returning home on Friday. Wednesday only day available.

I realise there will be a problem of fitting the visits in the time available. However, with the information available, especially Clive's, I can maximise the visits on this trip. It gives me an excuse to visit again later.

Kensal Green Cemetery is very big and there are two entrances a long walk apart from each other. You need to go to Kensal Green Tube station on the Bakerloo line, then turn right outside the tube station if you are going to the RC cemetery and walk westwards along Harrow Road. You will eventually see an entrance to the cemetery on the other side of the road which is also the entrance to the crematorium. There is usually someone on the gate so you can ask for directions from there.

Hammersmith Old Cemetery is on Margravine Gardens just around the corner from Barons Court Tube Station which is on the Piccadilly and District lines. You turn right outside the station and then take the first turning on the right along Margravine Gardens. The cemetery entrance is just a short walk on the other side of the road.

I have taken a large number of photographs in this cemetery so if you are searching for a particular commemoration let me know and I may be able to provide you with a picture and save you a journey.

Myrtle

For Ladywell Cemetery you will need to get a plan of the cemetery before if you are looking for a grave. You can get a plan from Lewisham Council, cemeteries dept, main switchboard 020 8695 6000 i think.

There are two cemeteries on the site - Ladywell and Brockley Cemeteries, hence two war memorials. It is pretty overgrown and a lot of graves were damaged from bombs in WWII, but good luck.

The Lewisham Archives Library in the High Street, Lewisham is also pretty good if you need to research further.

Regards

Invicta

Greenwich Cemetery is misnamed; its between Woolwich and Eltham. You need the South Circular, just South of where it crosses Shooters Hill - about the second major junction travelling south from the Woolwich ferry, entrance a little back from the road just before a tower block. War memorials in the centre back, keep going past the chapel. Near there is the Stone family's graves with a memorial to Walter Napleton Stone VC.

You'll only get this in time if you can access the net away from home.

:)

Can I just post a public thank you to all who offered help in my search for London cemeteries, especially Clive, and Myrtle for the offer of photographs.

Found a couple of my men, and have an excuse to make a further visit to London to visit the others.

Can I just add that if anyone out there is a browser, but is stuck with a search, can I suggest you enroll as a member and post your query. There is a host of people with a wealth of knowledge and they are willing to share it with you.

Again, thanks to you all

Arthur J.

• 10 months later...

I live fairly close to Ladywell and would be happy to have a look in the cemetery if you didn't manage to get there during your recent visit. I have got a digital camera so can send you pictures if a find anything.

Please email me if you wish as i am rather new to this forum and may not find this string again.

Reading this thread - and in particular the bits about Ladywell cemetary I'm confused. The cemetary Terry talks about as Ladywell, I've always known as Croften Park Cemetary. To me Ladywell cemetary is behind Ladywell church down, by the old fire station on the main Catford to Lewisham Road (A21). Even closer to Ladywell station.

Gunner Bailey

Gunner

The cemetery to which I refer is certainly Ladywell Cemetery (in Ladywell Road - opened 1858 and also known as Lewisham Cemetery). There are, in fact, two cemeteries there, the other being Brockley Cemetery (opened 1858 and also known as Deptford Cemetery). There is almost no boundary between the two.

The location to which you refer is St Mary's Churchyard.

A word of warning

I have a g-uncle buried in Ladywell and it took me a day and a half to find his grave! I spent the first day wandering all over the site and finally found his CWGC stone amongst a cluster of approx 40 stones on one side of the cemetary. It is one of those that says something like "buried elsewhere in this cemetary". Dejected, I went home and one the way decided to ring the council. They were very helpful and an annotated map arrived the following morning :D .

Went back the following day, but still could not find it as all that was in the position was a grassy knowle :( . To my distinct luck some gardeners were cleaning up the cemetary - I asked them if they knew where his plot was and they took me back to the grassy knowle :blink: . I was then informed that it was actually a large "Paupers" grave and that g-uncle was in there somwhere.

Well as near as I could get, some Poppies on his headstone, photos & and a torn cartlidge for my trouble - but you know what - well worth the trouble.

Great uncle Artie will NOT be forgotten

Best of luck in your endevours

Andy