Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MM, help required please

Dazscuba

I am looking at the following solider who in a number of records state he has a military medal.

am looking for the following

1)- record of MM.

2)- How he gained the MM?

3)- wounded twice in the field, what was his injury and where?

4)- requested territorial Efficency medal, where will this be recorded?

Gnr 1460 John Randell RA

other number 682000

also previous RAMC

wounded in action 1/6/17

wounded in action  21/3/18

belived gained MM 21/8/17 

D951DBA5-2267-43AD-ADDD-B626EBF0AAC2.jpeg

0793B617-431A-4981-A389-5F5A78FD434A.jpeg

703469BA-2EB1-42D0-8E4C-DDC5C52D5A53.jpeg

F14BDA92-6265-4CD6-AD41-109EE69229EA.jpeg

45A9D370-5DDE-4FE3-9FC9-BF0E707B519C.jpeg

2596D10D-F63B-4B8C-AC08-E3163BD14233.jpeg

Edited by Dazscuba

Hi,

I would check the war diary for his unit for the date you think that he won it. I did the same for my great uncle and found the original citation for his MM. Also have you checked with the artillery museum to see if they can help out. Finally, on this page the name is shown as both Randall and Randell. Maybe worth checking records using both names. 

PrivatePrice  

Liverpool Echo 05 September 1917, Page  4 .

image.png.010142be4aba9dbfd107608380e6f07c.png 

Thanks to the both of you for the above. Privateprice yes he has two MICs with differing names but can’t find anything on the MM site for Ancestry. 

At the mo do not know which part of the RAMC he was attached to so can’t chhe ck the war diaries. (Not very good at that).

how do I contact the artillery Museum ?

Hi,

Just seen the museum is shut until 2020!

Also the London Gazette has an archive section where you might be able to find out when the actual MM was awarded. It was usually 3 or 4 months after the event. 

Regards,

PrivatePrice  

This is your man. The LG is dated 21/8/17 but as he states in his letter it was awarded for 1/6/17 which is the same date of his first wounding (gassed).

Pte J Randall 339115    (I am guessing that this is RAMC TF renumbering 1917 that he held briefly before getting his RFA TF number in Feb 1918 !)
2nd West Lancs Field Ambulance RAMC TF, attd B/277 Bde W Lancs RFA TF
LG  21/8/17

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Thanks for above info, appreciated 

In June 1917 the 227 277 AFA Bde was under 41st Division. I've had a quick look at CRA war diary for 41st Div but nothing specific. The gun positions and rear lines were heavily shelled with gas around this time. I suspect the MM award was for stretcher bearing and medical care whilst under attack, he himself becoming a victim.

Charlie

edit typo bde no.

Edited by charlie962

A little confusion in post #9 where 227 Bde is mentioned, but this is from 277's war diary..

June to August 1917: at Reninghelst.  Very little detail given on actions in June, and no awards listed.  No awards for Randell in July or August, though a number listed for August.

Will have another more careful read later, including earlier months.

D

Edited by daggers
typo

Daggers that’s great thanks very much that would be appreciated.

I have combed the 277 Brigade diary but have to admit defeat here.  It has copious details of officers' postings in and out and their leave dates, almost nothing tactical, but it does have name, rank and number for a quantity of MM awards (and others).

August 1917 does refer to some casualties caused by gassing, but only a figure: 53 GSW, 18 gassed, but other months do not give any similar breakdown.

If Randall was previously in the RAMC, could he have earned his decoration with them?  If so it would be a separate war diary, I think.

Daggers