Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

queens, royal west surrey frame, Gallipoli

garfyboy

Morning all

Please take a look at this seemingly wonderful unique frame I picked up on ebay, all looks good and my thought are to find out who L.HALL  from the 2/4th Queens Royal west Surrey is.

A quick search tells me that the 2/4th were indeed at Gallipoli at that time and the Aussie badge is certainly weathered so my thoughts are that it has been out in the elements for a few months, maybe from the Anzac landings earlier in the year, everything in the frame looks good, writing, wear etc so far... so good.

I then spot that the Queens cap badge is from 1924 onwards ? which kind of throws it all into doubt?

Your thoughts would be appreciated please

IMG_3889.jpg

Their War Dairy for the month of December 1915 is very concise, one entry covering 1st to 13th (the latter date being that upon which they evacuated the peninsula)

quote:

Battalion (to which the 1/4th R. Sussex was linked*) quartered in dugouts on E slope of LALA BABA and occupied in digging trenches round the Hill. There was considerable spasmodic shelling by enemy and on DEC 2nd one shell killed one officer (TEMP. CAPT. HEWETT) and 2 NCO'S and wounded 3 men. Weather on the whole was fine, days warm and nights cold.

19.15 Embarked by lighter on H.M.T. “ELKAHIA”. Strength of Battn. 14 officers, 224 O.R.

* They had formed a composite battalion since 21st October 1915

[Note – re the evacuation: in Westlake's book British Regiments at Gallipoli he gives the name of the transport as El Kahirah]

There is no indication as far as I can see that they were at Anzac Beach, however, this Australian badge could easily have been a souvenir which L. Hall had swapped with someone during his service

Edited by michaeldr
spelling

The later pattern Queen’s badge (beyond dispute) suggests that the frame was made up between the Wars, perhaps to impress a lady friend, although that latter comment is just conjecture.