Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whats the difference

kelly

Good morning all

Looking at the award of the Victory and War medals I don't understand what the difference is between the two 

Conscious of my ignorance and the desire to know more I thought I'd the experts ask on this forum

Regards

Garry

The comments for the 1914 star includes "The decoration consists of a lacquered bronze star". Lacquered ? I am not sure that is the word that I would have used.

Whilst respecting your knowledge I still cannot agree with you. Being lacquered, in my book, means that the medal would have gone through a process to coat it with a resin-like substance such as shellac. Scratched with a sharp knife the resin would come off in flakes. I have yet to see a star where this is the case other than a couple where a collector has chosen to do it. No doubt you have found the term in official records but to me it looks like the stars were put through an artificial toning process. Toning is natures way of protecting the metal and conceivably would have been the right thing to do at the time so that all stars looked the same and not in various stages of toning. Or I totally misunderstand what the word "lacquered" actually means.