Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hub of a Propeller: Is it W.W.1.? Please Identify ?

INW

A friend showed me this hub which was beautifully made from laminated mahogany. It has clear reference marks. Can anyone Identify the type of engine and plane ?

INW

prophub.jpg

In the absence of aeroplane expert answers so far, may I inexpertly observe as follows:-

Reading from left to right, the first letters and number refer to the rate of pitch of the blades. Then we have maker (Royal Aircraft Factory) - and then (maybe) "400  HP" which may refer to the Handley Page 0/400 bomber. This aircraft used Rolls Royce Eagle aero engines driving four bladed propellers, as in your photo.

Edited by Stoppage Drill

R A F (Royal Aircraft Factory) 100 HP (100 Horse-power)  The next two letters appear to be B E.  The following letters are more difficult to distinguish but the last one could be a D.  With this engine size the prop could be off a B.E. 2C, D OR E.

So, definitely WW1 era.

Edited by pete-c

There is usually identifying  marks on the width of the hub. If not the man to ask is the chap who deals in props and has written several books on the subject. By memory - not what it once was - it's  Robert Gardenier or Gardner. He has a website, WW1 Propellers should find him.

Lt Col Bob Gardner has indeed produced a series of five books entitled British Propeller Makers of WW1.  All available via the Cross & Cockade International website.  

The numbers tell us that the prop is for the Airco DH6 featuring the RAF1A engine.

The 'plane was built as a trainer for the RFC, and largely obsolete in that role by late 1917 as the Avro 504K became favoured for it instead. Also in late 1917, around 15% of those produced were deployed for anti-submarine purposes.

Cheers,

GT.  

To all contributors,

Apologies for not replying over the last few days I have been rather preoccupied with other things.

Thank you so much for your efforts and thank you Grovetown for solving the riddle.

I add these references:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airco_DH.6

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/royal-aircraft-factory-raf-1a-v-8-engine

The above website has a wonderful set of photos of the engine. Including the metal elements of the propeller hub.

Grovetown

Would you be kind enough to explain your methodology / references for coming up with this answer? 

Thanking you in anticipation.

INW

• 4 weeks later...

Lt Col Bob Gardner kindly replied today to an email enquiry I sent him last month following Pete - C's advice.

Bob is an aviation historian and author of six books on British WW1 aircraft propellers and four on German WW1 propellers.

He was able to derive the following from the references stamped into the propeller hub.

RP:                  The firm which made the prop, Ruston & Proctor.

T5291:             The drawing number of the blue print for this propeller, which identifies it for a BE2C or BE12D aircraft, designed by the Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF).

RAF 100 HP:  The engine was also designed by the Royal Aircraft Factory, was rated 100 horse power.

BE12D:           The model of aircraft.

The diameter of the propeller was 2,770 mm. I have recorded six makers contracted to make this propeller.  Ebora, Denny, Aldam Heaton, Integral, Lang and Ruston Proctor. The firms Ebora, Integral and Lang were professional propeller makers.  Denny, Aldam Heaton and Ruston Proctor were accomplished wood workers recruited by HMG to make aircraft propellers. Denny was a ship builder, Aldam Heaton was an interior decorator who redecorated much of Buckingham Palace. Ruston Proctor made farming implements; fencing, hay-wains, trailers, Shepherds' Huts etc. Four of these makers made this propeller for the BE2C aircraft fitted with a 90hp RAF engine.

Ruston Proctor were contracted to make this propeller for the 100 hp version of the RAF aircraft, the BE12D.  Each maker was paid £21-0s-0d for each prop made.

Many thanks Bob for answering with such finesse and Pete-c for suggesting I make contact with Bob.

This link takes you to a copy of the T5291 drawing 

Currently cannot find a good image of the BE12D aircraft could some one post one? Does one of these aircraft survive?

INW

Edited by INW

That's good additional information - and you can now see, knowing what it is, the fractured BE12 stamping on the right hand side.

Interestingly, the table of drawing numbers in Peter Cooksley's Windsock Datafile Special: WWI British Propellers only includes information for the DH6 as above.

I helped Bob Gardner with elements of content for his propeller books - both German and British - based on a reciprocity. I hope he got what he wanted out of it: I found myself disappointed.

Cheers,

GT.

Edited by Grovetown