Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

26th Jacob's Indian Mountain Battery

alantwo

The War Diary for the 26th Jacob's Indian Mountain Battery is available via Ancestry, but the last few couple of days in March and the whole of April 1915 appear to be missing. As these were copied from NA files I assume April is missing from those records also. AWM only has May 1915. Has anyone come across this units War Diary month for April 1915 and if so, where I could get a copy.

My thanks in advance.

Regards

Alan

The Royal Artillery Museum Archive have August 1914 - March 1915 then June 1915 - September 1916, so probably not much good either.

7 hours ago, David Porter said:

The Royal Artillery Museum Archive have August 1914 - March 1915 then June 1915 - September 1916, so probably not much good either.

Thanks for your help again David. I guess it’s either lost or mixed up in another file somewhere.

Regards

Alan

Edited by alantwo

The following post from stiletto_33853

says 

"Sometime ago I got in contact with the TNA asking why the TNA downloads and Ancestry Diaries do not match, in that Ancestry diaries have large parts missing in comparison to the TNA Diaries. I questioned them as to was the same material the TNA use for their downloads supplied to a foreign for profit Company.

The reply I received was Ancestry have exactly the same material, so I highlighted a few examples where there is a considerable difference. The reply i received was that Ancestry have not loaded all the material supplied, Hmmm!!!. There is nothing more frustrating than spending hours downloading a diary from Ancestry only to find say 7 months missing where  the download from the TNA was complete.

Moral of the story, be very careful with the Ancestry diaries".

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/257648-ancestry-vs-national-archives/?do=findComment&comment=2606479

Cheers

Maureen

Alan,

Have you seen The Gallipolian No.85, Winter 1997?

Pages 19 to 41 have an excellent article on the 21st (Kohat) Mountain Battery by their CO, Major A C Fergusson (aka Percussion Sahib)

It is reasonably detailed and should be useful as they were together with the battery you are interested in

If you don't have access to a copy then please let me know

best regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Sorry Alan, but on re-reading Fergusson, I see that he is of less help than I had hoped
Just a couple of snippets
4th April 1915 - 26th embarked at Alexandria on the 'Hessen' (probably bound for Mudros like the 21st which were also embarking nearby at that same time) 
25th April 1915 – the plan called for the 26th to land first at 06:00, but they were probably late. (The 21st were to use the same boat(s) after the return, and the 21st were certainly late) 
25th April 1915 – Once they got into action they were badly shelled (shrapnel) with Kirby and Chapman wounded (the latter DoW). Their other casualties that day were such, that they had to call on Australians to help out for a few days until reinforcements could arrive
26th April 1915 – a section of the 21st under Trenchard was relieved by the 26th on Plugge's Plateau

I hope that this helps

Edited by michaeldr

10 hours ago, Maureene said:

The following post from stiletto_33853

says 

"Sometime ago I got in contact with the TNA asking why the TNA downloads and Ancestry Diaries do not match, in that Ancestry diaries have large parts missing in comparison to the TNA Diaries. I questioned them as to was the same material the TNA use for their downloads supplied to a foreign for profit Company.

The reply I received was Ancestry have exactly the same material, so I highlighted a few examples where there is a considerable difference. The reply i received was that Ancestry have not loaded all the material supplied, Hmmm!!!. There is nothing more frustrating than spending hours downloading a diary from Ancestry only to find say 7 months missing where  the download from the TNA was complete.

Moral of the story, be very careful with the Ancestry diaries".

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/257648-ancestry-vs-national-archives/?do=findComment&comment=2606479

Cheers

Maureen

Maureen

Many thanks for your response. I have to re-visit the NA at Kew sometime in the near future, I'll check the file to see if this month was missed for any reason.

Regards

Alan

Edited by alantwo
Spelling

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Sorry Alan, but on re-reading Fergusson, I see that he is of less help than I had hoped
Just a couple of snippets
4th April 1915 - 26th embarked at Alexandria on the 'Hessen' (probably bound for Mudros like the 21st which were also embarking nearby at that same time) 
25th April 1915 – the plan called for the 26th to land first at 06:00, but they were probably late. (The 21st were to use the same boat(s) after the return, and the 21st were certainly late) 
25th April 1915 – Once they got into action they were badly shelled (shrapnel) with Kirby and Chapman wounded (the latter DoW). Their other casualties that day were such, that they had to call on Australians to help out for a few days until reinforcements could arrive
26th April 1915 – a section of the 21st under Trenchard was relieved by the 26th on Plugge's Plateau

I hope that this helps

Michael

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I found an extract about the landings from 'My Private History of the Great War' by Colonel Fergusson, whilst researching the 21st Kohat Indian Mountain Battery. It doesn't appear to be the same as the article in the Gallipolian, mentioned in your earlier post. I will if I may send you a pm.

Kind regards

Alan