Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Taggart Bushmills Co.Antrim

I am trying to trace information regarding my great uncle Joseph Taggart- born Bushmills between (1891 and 1893). His mother was Elizabeth Stewart. I know from an older relative that he 'went to war'. I am presuming he might have joined the Iniskilling Fusilers. Any information greatly appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, Hannah Devlin said:

I am trying to trace information regarding my great uncle Joseph Taggart- born Bushmills between (1891 and 1893). His mother was Elizabeth Stewart. I know from an older relative that he 'went to war'. I am presuming he might have joined the Iniskilling Fusilers. Any information greatly appreciated. 

Do you have any family stories about his service that may add some details or any pictures etc ?

As a possible - There is a record for Joseph Taggart, #13474 of the Inniskillings, born 1893. This man was admitted to 2nd General Hospital on 4 July 16 and transferred the same day to the Hospital Ship Panama.

Craig

Joseph Taggart (13474) is recorded a couple of times in the Irish newspapers casualty lists. Address 44 Pine Street, Belfast.

Mick.

Admsision record to 2 General Hospital Le Havre on 4/7/16. 1 months in field force. Gun shot wound right foot. Sent to Hospital Ship Panama. In 11th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Age 23.

• 2 weeks later...

Since he lived in Ballymoney-Co Antrim, he is more likely to have joined Royal Irish Rifles

Wesley Wright

• 3 months later...

This person may be my husband's grandfather who enlisted in the 6th Royal Irish Rifles in November 1914. He was the son of Lizzie Taggart who lived in the Drum gate lodge of the Traill estate at Ballylough Bushmills. 

Noting that your man was born in Bushmills, I have just checked Robert Thompson, Bushmills Heroes 1914-18 (Coleraine: Coleraine Publishing Company, 1997?) but there is no reference to him in there. There is a 19107 Pte Robert Taggart, 10/Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, KIA 1st July 1916 but no mention of anyone related to him of that name who also served in the British Army.