Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18 Pounder Cartridge Case Markings

wmfinch

Hello All,

I just purchased an inert 18 pounder shrapnel shell with type 85 Fuze, plus this cartridge case.

I can understand some of the markings, but I will be very grateful for expert help.

I'm fairly certain the case was re-annealed and re-used, hence the two sets of CF markings.  As for the primer, heaven only knows!

Here's hoping the experts can help.image.thumb.jpg.72b185bbfe3cfead87a79ec34bb3b490.jpgimage.jpg.a5b82accd2ad5083a673a1d65634d01a.jpg

V/R

Wayne

Usually primers were scrapped when cartridge cases were returned to the UK for repair and refilling. The construction of the primers made them mostly just too difficult to rework and refill. But... in a very small number of instances some No.1 MkII primers, upon being inspected after removal, were deemed repairable. Regulations permitted a one time only refilling of Mark II primers.

The primer shown was made by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co., USA (W in a circle - 6 o'clock position) under contract to E W Bliss & Co., USA (EWBCo) in May 1916. It was then shipped to the UK where it was finally filled in what looks like August 1917. It might seem a long gap between manufacture and filling but such happened. On return of the spent cartridge to the UK (almost certainly not the same cartridge that it ended up in), the primer was passed for refilling* and was refilled at Hayes (NFF-7) in May 1918. The F of F7 has been stamped over a letter R, denoting a refill.

*Before refilling, cleaning, removal of fired percussion cap, and minor reworking of the top rim of the primer would have been necessary. This seems to have been carried out by South Western Brass Foundry, Plymouth - between the Winchester W in a circle and the cap is a partially stamped SWBF monogram of an S with a cross X through it. 

Edited by 14276265
Rework detail

OMG '265', you never cease to amaze me!  One of the reasons I bought the 'set' was because of the markings , especially on the primer!  So we have a Canadian Cartridge Case, with an American Primer, fired in France/ Belgium twice (presumably), filled in the UK twice and repaired in the UK once!  It surely was a world wide war!

I didn't ask about the No. 85 Fuze, as it has been highly polished and the markings have nearly gone.  However, it is a Bethlehem made example.

Thank you so much once again!  I'm attending a talk in Birmingham during Oct about the use of Chemicals in WW1, and the speaker has asked me to provide some Display material so he can illustrate his talk.  This set will definitely be going with me!

I am extremely grateful once again!

V/R

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. My paternal Nan may even have refilled that at Hayes. 

M.D.Co is the Metal Drawing Company (Ontario). Dag in a box, is one of the 'unknowns'.

Mike.

• 1 month later...

So sorry for the delay in replying, but many thanks Mike for confirming the maker of the Cartridge Case.

Minor addition, I believe the case was repaired at the Gt Eastern Railway workshops, hence the' E RY' stamp. 

8 minutes ago, Tomo.T said:

Minor addition, I believe the case was repaired at the Gt Eastern Railway workshops, hence the' E RY' stamp. 

It was refurbished, but by the North Eastern Railway, Darlington - E.Ry monogram.

Wow, thanks '265' and TomoT.

I was studying it with a magnifying glass earlier, and I reckon CF has been stamped over the original manufacturing date.  It's a shame, because I cannot make out the year.  With CFF being stamped elsewhere and 3 War Dept arrows, could the case have been used 3 times?  Also, I thought the numbers on the left 26 5 17, but now I think the 7 is a ding, making it 26 5 1.  Could this be the Lot number perhaps?

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

V/R

Wayne

I think you were right first time with the date. Possibly the 7 stamp was chipped or broken. The arrow inside a C is the Canadian Government acceptance mark, this has been seconded by a British arrow mark. The Lone 'S' at 5 o clock indicates testing by a scleroscope for hardness, presumably it failed the test and was annealed (A .) The cartridge was refilled twice so was fired three times in all.

Hello Tomo.T

Really grateful for the additional information which I will add to my records about the item.  

This Cartridge Case and Primer have very interesting histories, which along with the American made Type 85 Fuze make the set a truly international example of WW1 manufacturing and repairing.  I am taking part in a few exhibitions on a voluntary basis over the next few weeks, and this will make a great conversation piece as part of my larger display.

I am really glad I bought the set and I am very appreciative of all the help from everyone.

V/R

Wayne

image.jpg

• 1 year later...

It’s a Canadian manufactured case passed on 7th April 1917 and with a matching 1917 Canadian made primer. ‘KEN’ is a batch code. I believe the monogram above it is for the Canadian Cartridge Company of Hamilton, Ontario.