Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

RGJDEE

Wilkinson Bayonet

Recommended Posts

JMB1943

This is still an interesting piece, true Mole or false Mole, and I would hold onto it.

We’ll see what others think of it.

 

Regards,

JMB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave66
5 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

This is still an interesting piece, true Mole or false Mole, and I would hold onto it.

We’ll see what others think of it.

 

Regards,

JMB

 

I have to agree, and at the end of the day it's not hundreds on a fake hooked Quilion, that would hurt.

 

Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RGJDEE
36 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

This is still an interesting piece, true Mole or false Mole, and I would hold onto it.

We’ll see what others think of it.

 

Regards,

JMB

 

You never know there may be some redeeming unit markings or stamps to the grips. Have to wait and see till it gets here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RGJDEE

Have given the Sanderson a bit of a clean and have some better pics of unit stamps and scabbard markings.Is that possibly NF (Northumberland Fusiliers) or as we previously thought NL??

216B1D93-3C95-4493-BE8C-611CB792F054.jpeg

575769F8-B458-4256-B9B3-00C63957EA8F.jpeg

CF634C9D-E58D-4F22-AD86-28E51FD83FC7.jpeg

5F8AC6A6-9FA3-41D4-BA70-33F6B5130DA5.jpeg

A9CA0CE2-EC79-4878-AF27-78792882FC11.jpeg

2A8ACB3B-F68D-454B-9E56-B573EC532ED6.jpeg

Edited by RGJDEE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMB1943

I could go with NF.......or not; still somewhat ambiguous.

Have never previously seen a stamp low down on the grip; is it 5/T ?

Chape has RE = Remington; Locket has EFD markings; all normal.

 

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RGJDEE
1 hour ago, JMB1943 said:

I could go with NF.......or not; still somewhat ambiguous.

Have never previously seen a stamp low down on the grip; is it 5/T ?

Chape has RE = Remington; Locket has EFD markings; all normal.

 

Regards,

JMB

 

1 hour ago, JMB1943 said:

I could go with NF.......or not; still somewhat ambiguous.

Have never previously seen a stamp low down on the grip; is it 5/T ?

Chape has RE = Remington; Locket has EFD markings; all normal.

 

Regards,

JMB

Will try the chalk ? NF looks better than the NL. Have to see if the NFS had a 5th T. I know the N Lancs did.As to the grip stamp definate 5 probable T. ?

Northumberland would tie in as it was sourced in Newcastle.

 

Any tips on preservation/restoration of the scabbard metalwork ?

thanks for you continued interest and knowledge. 

Richard.

by the way couldn’t find any marks on the Winchester P13 scabbard, thick coat of green paint ? All over.

 

Edited by RGJDEE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave66
6 hours ago, RGJDEE said:

 

Will try the chalk ? NF looks better than the NL. Have to see if the NFS had a 5th T. I know the N Lancs did.As to the grip stamp definate 5 probable T. ?

Northumberland would tie in as it was sourced in Newcastle.

 

Any tips on preservation/restoration of the scabbard metalwork ?

thanks for you continued interest and knowledge. 

Richard.

by the way couldn’t find any marks on the Winchester P13 scabbard, thick coat of green paint ? All over.

 

Hard to pin down that one due to the pitting, one minute it looks like an F then another image an L, even with the fresh pictures, both battalions had a 5th that saw action in France and Flanders so either way it was more than likely in the thick of it.

 

Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMB1943

Since this not of museum quality, I would only use a nylon bristle toothbrush to remove dirt and any loose rust.

Then a coat of light oil to prevent further rusting; re-apply every 6-12 months.

Pity about green scabbard, but not worth stripping the paint to determine any markings.

 

Regards,

JMB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RGJDEE

Thanks Dave , just awaiting the new addition . Maybe Chris (4 th G) will have some news on the poss Indian connection ??

 

1 minute ago, JMB1943 said:

Since this not of museum quality, I would only use a nylon bristle toothbrush to remove dirt and any loose rust.

Then a coat of light oil to prevent further rusting; re-apply every 6-12 months.

Pity about green scabbard, but not worth stripping the paint to determine any markings.

 

Regards,

JMB

 

Thanks JMB as I had thought.

regards R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4thGordons
5 minutes ago, RGJDEE said:

Thanks Dave , just awaiting the new addition . Maybe Chris (4 th G) will have some news on the poss Indian connection ??

 

 

No sorry, nothing definitive or, to be honest, even strongly suggestive. Some similarities in the bend test mark etc and the single E inspection but that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×