Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilkinson Bayonet

RGJDEE

They are both £95

book sound like it will be on my Christmas list ticks all the boxes for me.

You are probably right re the lithgows was tempted by the WW2 one with matching scabbard though. 

R

15 minutes ago, RGJDEE said:

They are both £95

book sound like it will be on my Christmas list ticks all the boxes for me.

You are probably right re the lithgows was tempted by the WW2 one with matching scabbard though. 

R

Trouble is, when in a situation like that it's hard to choose, bit like a kid in a sweet shop...reality means most mere mortals like you and I have a budget. 

The 20 lithgow was between the wars and would be no interest to me unless it had a very interesting ww2 history. The 42 would be of interest as it has  the correct scabbard, may be a good investment for the future.

With regard the 13 and 17 bayonets, just sorted out and found these that I brought last year..just thought interesting as the correct rifle.

Dave.

image.jpeg

Very nice ! Where do you pick up old publications like that ?

20 minutes ago, RGJDEE said:

Very nice ! Where do you pick up old publications like that ?

Close contact with a local second hand bookshop, go in a couple of times a week and he knows my interests....sheer luck, as with the skennerton book today.

Dave.

I'm wondering, now I'm on the bigger computer and not iPad, its Territorial, 5th North Lancashire?

Definitely see bottom line on last letter....just a thought.

Dave.

Think you could be tight there Dave. Will do the same I’m on an I phone . 

Dave had a look on the laptop and am inclined to agree, can see the feint part of the N and the bottom of the L.Will get some chalk and try that as JMB suggested.

54 minutes ago, RGJDEE said:

Dave had a look on the laptop and am inclined to agree, can see the feint part of the N and the bottom of the L.Will get some chalk and try that as JMB suggested.

I think the L is right...if so, and be interested to see what the chalk shows up, not many other options.

Dave.

On 15/07/2018 at 20:36, Dave66 said:

I think the L is right...if so, and be interested to see what the chalk shows up, not many other options.

Dave.

Have a look at this ricasso can you make out the manufacturer ? Accompanying scabbard is marked OA( orange arsenal ) Lithgow/Aussie ?

01934830-A2BA-45F3-A0EA-17E3C237EC57.png

Edited by RGJDEE

21 minutes ago, RGJDEE said:

Have a look at this ricasso can you make out the manufacturer ? Accompanying scabbard is marked OA( orange arsenal ) Lithgow/Aussie ?

01934830-A2BA-45F3-A0EA-17E3C237EC57.png

Possibly mole, if so scarce maker. Haven't got one so can't compare, hopefully someone else who sees it can confirm.

with regards the other, I would presume orange arsenal but don't collect these.

Possible new purchased?

Dave.

Richard,

Have to agree with Dave that this is a MOLE.

I have only one of these, and it is different from my Sanderson/ Wilkinson/ Chapman/Vickers/EFD bayos 

in that the shape of the fuller at the ricasso almost exactly mirrors the shape of the P. 07 blade.

That is, a virtually straight blade spine with a semi-spear point.

The fullers of the other makers all have a distinctly different end-shape at the ricasso. 

Only one example, but perhaps you can post a shot of the fuller on this MOLE for comparison.

Regards,

JMB

1 hour ago, JMB1943 said:

Richard,

Have to agree with Dave that this is a MOLE.

I have only one of these, and it is different from my Sanderson/ Wilkinson/ Chapman/Vickers/EFD bayos 

in that the shape of the fuller at the ricasso almost exactly mirrors the shape of the P. 07 blade.

That is, a virtually straight blade spine with a semi-spear point.

The fullers of the other makers all have a distinctly different end-shape at the ricasso. 

Only one example, but perhaps you can post a shot of the fuller on this MOLE for comparison.

Regards,

JMB

Here’s a fuller image 

BC548592-0176-4FA3-A416-837F30AA8DD1.png

10 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Possibly mole, if so scarce maker. Haven't got one so can't compare, hopefully someone else who sees it can confirm.

with regards the other, I would presume orange arsenal but don't collect these.

Possible new purchased?

Dave.

It’s a possible new acquisition though mis matched scabbard as you have confirmed OA is Aussie I thought Mole were v scarce ,and, we will see how much interest there is in this one (had a good spend at the weekend as you know) so not much in the kitty ! Trouble is how often do you see a mole surface?? ( forgive the pun )

let you know later on 

R

2 hours ago, RGJDEE said:

It’s a possible new acquisition though mis matched scabbard as you have confirmed OA is Aussie I thought Mole were v scarce ,and, we will see how much interest there is in this one (had a good spend at the weekend as you know) so not much in the kitty ! Trouble is how often do you see a mole surface?? ( forgive the pun )

let you know later on 

R

Haven't seen a mole in the flesh, but if one came my way I'd buy it as they don't turn up that often...but then budget always has to be taken into account.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mis matched scabbard, if you were to buy it, and in the future you came across an appropriate bayonet a swap could be made which would be beneficial.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Dave.

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

Haven't seen a mole in the flesh, but if one came my way I'd buy it as they don't turn up that often...but then budget always has to be taken into account.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mis matched scabbard, if you were to buy it, and in the future you came across an appropriate bayonet a swap could be made which would be beneficial.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Dave.

Gentlemen , apologies for the chaotic and abrupt posts, last night I was abed browsing an auction site for bayonets and came across the one I showed last evening. I was pretty sure it was a Mole and knowing the scarcity I was forced to act quicky as the sale was this morning . After registering to bid etc off I went to work I should add that the sale was a militaria one and the listing said WW1 Bayonet 

estimate £30 to £80 , that was it !

so I put in a modest offer slightly over the top estimate and am now the proud owner !!

Here are the auction photos . When I get it home I will give it a little T L C and re post some better photos . Thanks to you both for your encouragement and prompt reply s.

R.

CB9911BD-8EDE-40FA-90C0-093AA00B934F.png

D9AAA035-8DDE-42C6-A258-42A45FC7C3D2.png

EBBC0581-413A-4918-AE5F-AA066730EF8E.png

7A5F5F05-680F-4239-B180-B1D3463C41FE.png

F499693B-7A49-4FE3-A72D-3422E1D77477.png

Mr. D,

I am afraid that the stamps on the ricasso (4th pic) look suspicious, in that

a) the style of the crown and the I over E don’t ring true (lack of serifs),

and

b) there should ALWAYS be the 3 view stamps that accompany the Broad Arrow and X-bend mark.

c) the view stamps on my Mole show crown/M9/italic B, and the X has serifs.

d) the Broad Arrow on my example is exactly that, an inverted V, not the usual curved crowsfoot.

As to the shape of the fuller, this one looks different to mine, but maybe mine is the odd one out here.

Of these issues, it is (b) that is the most serious.

We need someone who has seen more than one Mole to look at the photos.

Shipping Steel, 4th Gordon’s, Sawdoc ?

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Typo

53 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Mr. D,

I am afraid that the stamps on the ricasso (4th pic) look suspicious, in that

a) the style of the crown and the I over E don’t ring true (lack of serifs),

and

b) there should ALWAYS be the 3 view stamps that accompany the Broad Arrow and X-bend mark.

c) the view stamps on my Mole show crown/M9/italic B, and the X has serifs.

d) the Broad Arrow on my example is exactly that, an inverted V, not the usual curved crowsfoot.

As to the shape of the fuller, this one looks different to mine, but maybe mine is the odd one out here.

Of these issues, it is (b) that is the most serious.

We need someone who has seen more than one Mole to look at the photos.

Shipping Steel, 4th Gordon’s, Sawdoc ?

Regards,

JMB

Curious indeed JMB perhaps I should start a new thread ? To get the other gentlemen involved ?

Yes to a new thread, include buzzwords such as “Unusual, Suspicious, Alleged” Mole to get attention.

Regards,

JMB

Will do thanks

I have to say all looked fine until the 4th photo. Normally three inspection stamps being the most obvious, and the E looks forged rather than stamped after, with the crown missing the cross at the top.

looks to have seen plenty of use, with inspection stamps for 33 and 38 with correct serifs etc....scabbards nice.

It would be interesting to see another from the same period for comparison.

Dave

Well have taken JMB s advice and a new thread may get some of the other Gentlemen of the forum to have a look and share their thoughts ??

Makes perfect sense, certainly an interesting one.

Dave.

9 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Makes perfect sense, certainly an interesting one.

Dave.

Have to wait and see, there are a few of those old sayings going through my mind like "Too good to be true","Buy in haste repent in leisure", "Buyer beware" etc etc

"Fools rush in", springs to mind.!

R

19 minutes ago, RGJDEE said:

Have to wait and see, there are a few of those old sayings going through my mind like "Too good to be true","Buy in haste repent in leisure", "Buyer beware" etc etc

"Fools rush in", springs to mind.!

R

I wouldn't be too harsh on yourself, if wrong did the auction house list it as a Mole?, if so you may have some comeback...and we have all done similar.

Dave.

No such luck, listed as WW1 Bayonet. To be honest as it was in a Militaria auction  I thought I wouldnt even get it at the bid I left, presumed there would be buyers there that would recognise its probable value (if indeed it was legit) and would have paid more (i only bid £90) .I saw the MOLE stamp and you know the rest.