Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilkinson Bayonet

RGJDEE

RGJ,

I am aware of that book, but have not seen it.

The Author is actually a descendant of THE Wilkinson.

Regards,

JMB

Thanks again Dave happy hunting 

I ll buy it and let you know , if it’s as good as the family bayonets I ll not be disappointed !

1 hour ago, JMB1943 said:

RGJ,

I am aware of that book, but have not seen it.

The Author is actually a descendant of THE Wilkinson.

Regards,

JMB

He was quite prolific in his writing, I have one covering swords and bayonets which can be quite useful.

1 hour ago, RGJDEE said:

I ll buy it and let you know , if it’s as good as the family bayonets I ll not be disappointed !

I'm sure it will be a good starting point, I always have a look in second hand bookshops and charity shops, as you never know what you'll find.

regards to you both,

Dave.

Just aquired it on e bay not too expensive (£17) 

RGJ,

We will give you a week (at most!), then Dave and I would like to know your opinion of the book.

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
typo

6 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

RGJ,

We will give you a week (at most!), then Dave and I would like to know your opinion of the book.

JMB

Definitely, there's always room for another on the bookshelf if I move things round.

Books are invaluable, and I find much better than relying on google alone, so always a worthy investment.

Dave.

Yes  I have to agree good to have to hand and much more user friendly, will let you both know ASAP  regards R

incidentally seen a p13 Remington 

do either of you have one of these ?

383F6902-7209-42F5-9A69-BAF32990EE88.jpeg

86B1BC3D-0FE6-428E-8434-402987909D26.jpeg

I have a couple of those, nice to have one, used mainly for training during the Great War, but that and the 1917 were the iconic home guard bayonet...what scabbard is with it?

Dave.

Afraid not, Mr. Dee.

Now that you have the Remington version, you should keep an eye out for the Winchester-made model.

Many less made by WIN, so correspondingly many more $$$ to purchase.

Our friendly source (Skennerton, p.191) gives REM 1,243,000 & WIN 225,000 production of the P.1913 bayonet.

Your REM above looks like a chrome- or nickel-plated parade bayonet; even the screws/nuts through the grips are bright.

Or is it just highly polished ?

Regards,

JMB

Haven’t purchased it yet  but may be tempted ??

BB25963A-7718-4365-99D2-3FC290927E55.jpeg

22 minutes ago, RGJDEE said:

Haven’t purchased it yet  but may be tempted ??

BB25963A-7718-4365-99D2-3FC290927E55.jpeg

Looks to me, as JMB suggested, like its been chromed.

Standard British scabbard which ties in, Some of these did go back to the U.S. with the British acceptance stamps then scrubbed.

If it comes at the right price O.K. but there are plenty out there...not as popular as the 1907 so usually cheaper.

Dave.

Just noticed...the link that I posted earlier, he has one on page 2, plenty of original finish and a 39 pattern frog...might be worth looking at as a comparison.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

Yes that one looks a better one. I was curious about the bright finish , to be honest I was only looking to buy it if it was at a v reasonable price .its for auction so will wait and see. Would rather spend on a p 1888 now you two have whet my appetite! There is a dealer up here in Newcastle who may have one  or two, would also like to expand on the P 1907 with some different makers. I know , I was warned after buying the first one. 

We wait with anticipation, I think in might be time to get some brownie points with Mrs Dee and prepare for the new arrivals.

Dave.

Well funny you should mention that ........... a couple of old sayings come to mind ...........

”ignorance is bliss “

“what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her”

fortunately she who must be obeyed doesn’t venture into the loft at all.( I think bayonets would be ok but not the SMLE so they will remain my treasures ! In private)

10 minutes ago, RGJDEE said:

Well funny you should mention that ........... a couple of old sayings come to mind ...........

”ignorance is bliss “

“what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her”

fortunately she who must be obeyed doesn’t venture into the loft at all.( I think bayonets would be ok but not the SMLE so they will remain my treasures ! In private)

I'm wondering if under the spare bed may be a better option, went in my loft today and hot as hell, wouldn't do the wood or leather any good!

I am lucky, have the little room to myself, after the first twenty she didn't seem to notice the additions!

Edited by Dave66

OH DEAR

Gentlemen , on my day off today after a visit to town I find myself in a quandary !

seen a Sanderson and an Enfield both in reasonable condition also a Lithgow with frog , what to do (all P 1907) which in your learned opinions is the most desirable ??

Unfortunately finances allow only one purchase. 

Yours in anticipation Richard.

Edited by RGJDEE

Whilst examining the scabbard of my 1/17 Wilkinson pall mall I came across these faint marks .

Is that a Canadian acceptance mark ? Not sure about the letters?

If it is of Canadian issue then what about the unit markings on the pommel. Originally thought to be 2nd Kashmir Rifles. Have a look at the photos , I welcome your comments.

Richard

F1BCF2C8-24C1-4555-AB3B-754955F0B8F4.jpeg

39F04C66-2401-4913-8828-CF0E319E85DB.jpeg

BB81B7D4-3E29-4EED-AAF3-4A13CEC2CEE3.jpeg

23 hours ago, RGJDEE said:

OH DEAR

Gentlemen , on my day off today after a visit to town I find myself in a quandary !

seen a Sanderson and an Enfield both in reasonable condition also a Lithgow with frog , what to do (all P 1907) which in your learned opinions is the most desirable ??

Now that is a dilemma Richard.....failing using a credit card and doing a bulk deal for all three:ph34r:, you probably see far less of the lithgow manufactured ones, if the others had a really good unit marking that could make a difference.

with regard the scabbard, I can see the EFD, but can't quite make out what may well be the Canadian acceptance stamp. It's quite common for scabbards and bayonets to become separated...in fact some of mine are odd bayonets and scabbards that have been paired up at some time.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Now that is a dilemma Richard.....failing using a credit card and doing a bulk deal for all three:ph34r:, you probably see far less of the lithgow manufactured ones, if the others had a really good unit marking that could make a difference.

with regard the scabbard, I can see the EFD, but can't quite make out what may well be the Canadian acceptance stamp. It's quite common for scabbards and bayonets to become separated...in fact some of mine are odd bayonets and scabbards that have been paired up at some time.

Dave

Thanks Dave , will post on the one that comes home.

On 10/07/2018 at 13:32, RGJDEE said:

OH DEAR

(Un)enviable position to be in.

Real estate agents say Location, Location, Location.

For any collectible, I would say Condition, condition, condition.

But that would be with all things (grips/rust pits/ unit markings etc) being equal.

If the Lithgow has an Aussie scabbard, then that has to be the one!

Good Luck,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Typo

Thanks jmb how do you tell if the scabbard is lithgow /Aussie made ??

Richard,

Damned if I know!

Dave, you’re up......

Seriously, I would expect the locket & chape to have the 7-pointed star and /or MA that are present on the blade.

Regards

JMB

Edited by JMB1943

10 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Richard,

Damned if I know!

Dave, you’re up......

Seriously, I would expect the locket & chape to have the 7-pointed star and /or MA that are present on the blade.

Regards

JMB

Don't know I'm afraid, but there's one hear with a full description of all the relevant stamps..http://www.anzacblade.com.au/wwi-australian-lithgow-smle-pattern-1907-sword-bayonet-scabbard-unit-marked-1917.html

Dave.