Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Royal Scots, 106th Brigade, 35th Division

Skipman

Am interested in 17th Royal Scots, in particular, the Battle of Ypres, 1918, 28th and 29th September, 1918. Can you recommend any books that cover this battalion in this action.

Thinking of buying 'The History of the 35th Division in the Great War by Lt-Col H M Davson', which, I can buy in on Amazon, but don't want to waste £20 if if doesn't cover, in any detail. I have the battalion, brigade and divisional diaries, and the Official History. Is there much in it that is not covered by these documents?

Mike

As I recall from many yrs ago the 35th Div history is quite detailed. I was researching a man of the HLI who was Kia on certain date & the book actually detailed the loss of a Lewis Gun team hit by enemy shell fire. I don't recall it being a dry history at all & the cost seems to me a reasonable amount.

Why not try to get a copy through the Inter Library Loan program & give it a look before deciding to pay for a copy? I've found the ILL to be a valuable tool &  money saver many times.

Excellent Loader, thanks for the reply. Sounds like a good enough edition to my collection anyway. Will see if can find cheaper on Abe Books or elsewhere.

Thanks again

Mike

• 5 months later...
On 04/07/2018 at 10:25, Skipman said:

Am interested in 17th Royal Scots, in particular, the Battle of Ypres, 1918, 28th and 29th September, 1918. Can you recommend any books that cover this battalion in this action.

Thinking of buying 'The History of the 35th Division in the Great War by Lt-Col H M Davson', which, I can buy in on Amazon, but don't want to waste £20 if if doesn't cover, in any detail. I have the battalion, brigade and divisional diaries, and the Official History. Is there much in it that is not covered by these documents?

Mike

My Belgium great uncle Bill was interpreter with the 106 brigade 35 division. He was hospitalized Feb 1918 near Proven, Poperinge. Any mention of Belgium interpreters in your papers? 

His name was Fernand Guillaume but was called Bill by the Brits. 

Hello nilis11 I'm afraid it's not a name that I have come across but he could well be mentioned in various diaries. If I find anything I will certainly let you know. It will be worth you posting a separate thread in the Soldiers part of the Forum, someone may come up with something. Good luck.

Mike

Mike,

I would be very interested to see if the History of the 35th Division details the trench raids conducted below:

On 14/15 Jul 18 by the 104th Inf Bde 18th Lancashire Fusiliers:

My grandfather was a Cpl Elphinstone 402467 with the 203rd Field Company, RE and I suspect was slightly wounded as one of the 10 Royal Engineers assigned to breach enemy wire that evening. I have obtained War Diary of 203rd and After Action report from 104th but he isn't identified in either doc in that action. I did find his named listed with 2 other RE's only was wounded 7-1918 on the 203rd Wall or Honor. 

The 203rd WD does identify another raid on 23 Jul 18 four O.R. RE's employing Bangalores to blow up enemy wire.

And another on 28 Jul 18, 4 O.R.'s assisted in raid carried out Minden(?) by 104 Bde.

He was listed as wounded in 203rd WD on 20 Sep 18 working on Regimental Aide Post returned to duty and then again on 28 Sep 18 near Zillebeke Lake repairing road to support Final Advance.

Any additional info on those actions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

You'll have to wait till after Christmas Dave :D

Are you a subscriber to the Ancestry website, I could find you a link to the battalion and brigade diaries. (tomorrow)

Mike