Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French battle of the Somme

phil andrade

Please help me.

A simple bit of information that I require to demonstrate a point eludes me.

How much territory did the French capture July November 1916 in the Somme fighting ?

I know that they captured ten to twenty per cent more prisoners than the British while suffering fewer than half as many casualties , but I cannot find a comparable assessment of territorial gain.

Phil

Hello,

I don't know the exact answer but looking at a general map of the battle of the Somme it seems that a little bit more ground was gained by the French, most of it on the first days.

Sly

carte_bataille_somme.jpg.bb205c9a0d1f58dcc6a958782b8d1947.jpg

13 hours ago, phil andrade said:

How much territory did the French capture July November 1916 in the Somme fighting ?

French ... 165 square miles approx.  (July to December … the Battle of the Somme didn't officially end for the French until 17th December)

British  ... 120 square miles approx. (July to November)

Dave

Dave,

You’re the man who writes the books !

What better help could I ask for ?

Thanks !

Phil

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 23:08, CROONAERT said:

French ... 165 square miles approx.  (July to December … the Battle of the Somme didn't officially end for the French until 17th December)

British  ... 120 square miles approx. (July to November)

Dave

Did not know they extended the date any reason why?

Tony

6 hours ago, KIRKY said:

Tony

Perhaps to tie up neatly with the final successful counter offensive at Verdun ?

Looks good in the history books.

Phil

8 hours ago, KIRKY said:

They didn't actually extend the date as such, just did not call it off as they were still trying to take Chaulnes and the open land beyond to the southern Somme crossings... or at the very least to eradicate the salient that had been formed due to the failure to capture the town. The last (cancelled) attempt on 20 December (postponed from the 13th) was being prepped at the time the battle was called off by the new commander of the groupe d'armees Nord, Nivelle (who replaced Foch on 12th December and, after weighing up the human cost compared with potential gain, could not see the point in continuing). Though this is pure speculation, it is possible that The Battle of the Somme would have continued into 1917 under Foch.

Dave.

Edited by CROONAERT