Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with a medical record please

ForeignGong

The record is for 18340 T H Rawley RE, long story but his real name was T H Rowley, confirmed with MIC and medal rolls. This is the FMP record

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2/GBM/MH106/MH106-903/0008&parentid=GBM/MH106/P2/160611

There are a few comments that I cannot decipher. For those that don't have FMP see below.

Does the comment under 38 Fld relate to Rawley or the chap below??

Does the comment under Shd L relate to Rawley or the chap below??

Is the word between 8 and RC, Quai or what??

All comments welcome, thanks very much.

Peter

Rawley.JPG

Rowley Medical1.JPG

Rowley Medical2.JPG

Hi Peter,

6 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Does the comment under 38 Fld relate to Rawley or the chap below??

I think that it relates to the man below. Looking at the top of the page...

image.png.6193d92a76eb1e6b32b6d7d695e89267.png

The first man is with 'B' company, 1/Lincs, and the second with a RAMC Field Ambulance. The specifics of which (2/2 Northern) being written above it, and so it follows with others later down the page.

I think that it relates to your man, and is preceded by a kind of ditto mark - so, GSW Shd L

Is the word between 8 and RC, Quai or what??

I think that it reads as Quai too.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Thank you for your input. That works for me.

Have no idea about Quai, I did a Google translation with French and it is "QUAY" or wharf but I can't see how that fits in as the only other entry looks like "Pal" and I can't translate that. Google tries to give the French word for the English Pal of friend.

Cheers

Peter

I think (in action) relates to the man below, since Sim. F. R. Clav. seems to be "simple fracture right clavicle", and "in action" would be an important notation, as that could have occurred basically anywhere, whereas GSW Shd L. would automatically suggest "in action" unless it was an accident, and then you would expect a notation such as "accidental" or something similar.

• Admin

With ref to the potential "Quai" is there anything in a column header or in the other entries in that column that could help to put the word in question into context?

Regards

David

2 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

With ref to the potential "Quai" is there anything in a column header or in the other entries in that column that could help to put the word in question into context?

Regards

David

I was just in the process of posting that

image.png.cb5744158bc14380330a1a9cff7649ac.png

Craig

• Admin
6 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I was just in the process of posting that

image.png.cb5744158bc14380330a1a9cff7649ac.png

Craig

Thanks Craig!

Can I be a pain and ask what the columns either side are re the "8" and "RC"?

David

46 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Thanks Craig!

Can I be a pain and ask what the columns either side are re the "8" and "RC"?

David

image.png.48b3ce8e8c4d651ff003263014f8df7b.png

The 8 would be the number of days under treatment and RC is likely Roman Catholic.

Craig

• Admin
1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

image.png.48b3ce8e8c4d651ff003263014f8df7b.png

The 8 would be the number of days under treatment and RC is likely Roman Catholic.

Craig

Thank you!

Not sure that it helps me all that much - now wondering what "HS Oxfordshire" means in that column unless Home Sick to Oxfordshire.

However, to get back on track I think I (and possibly "we") need a more expanded image of that line if possible please.

Regards

David

HS Oxfordshire

Hospital Ship Oxfordshire, most likely

A larger image would be useless with the rows of data. I would post but the Mods will jump on it as it's more than just a small, incidental, use. If the OP was to post however...

Craig

• Admin
11 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Is this what you require

header.JPG

Head.JPG

head1.JPG

Thank you that puts it all into context in my mind and as the chap may have been transferred to a hospital ship then I would tend to agree that the word is "Quai" as in quay / wharf etc. for embarkation? I would have been doubtful that this would be the name of an actual ward, but could be wrong.

Regards

David

Hi Peter,

For what it's worth FWR have transcribed the record. Their interpretation reads as:

First Name: T H

Surname: Rawley

Service Number: 18340

Years Service: 7 Years

Months With Field Force: 11 Months

Ailment: Gun shot wound left shoulder

Date Transferred to Sick Convoy: 05/08/1915

Number of Days Under Treatment: 8

Number/Designation of Ward: Quai

Notes written in the Observations Column: Hospital Ship Oxfordshire.

Religion: Roman Catholic

Regiment: Royal Engineers

Battalion: 38th Field Company 

Other unit info: Attached 1st Canadian ? Sappers

Archive Reference: MH106/903 - Representative Medical Records of No. 2 General Hospital, Le Havre.

*I think that they have attributed this to the wrong person, and it should go with 20622 Gribben CASC (MT), and that looking at his service file, it should be read as 1st Canadian Divisional Supply Column.

Regards

Chris

Chris I agree with you, Canadian ASC would more than likely be attached to 1st Canadian Sappers.

Thomas Henry Rowley A / CSM 18340, MID 27 Nov 1917, French Medaille d’honneur Avec Glaives en Bronze 16 Mar 1920.

1914 Star and Clasp

Thanks to you all for your help.

Peter

My take on Row No 3:

3   C.A.S.C. (=Canadian ASC) MT Column, 1 Canadian D.Sup. (=Depot of Supply possibly?) 20622   Pte. Gribben T.

Hi,

With respect to the Forces War Records transcription, I think that they have both misinterpreted the "other unit info", and accredited it to the wrong man. Where they have "Attached 1st Canadian ? Sappers", I don't think that it belongs to Rowley/Rawley. I believe it belongs to...

image.png.36415a9867dcc83617b32f3b676c31b4.png

Looking at MH106 image on FMP, I don't see how FWR came up with "Attached" or "Sappers".

As the MH106 image shows that Gribben was in Quai, and sent for onward evacuation by the Oxfordshire on the same date (05.08.1915) as Rowley/Rawley, I had hoped that his file may have given some more detail. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to. 

Regards

Chris

4 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

My take on Row No 3:

3   C.A.S.C. (=Canadian ASC) MT Column, 1 Canadian D.Sup. (=Depot of Supply possibly?) 20622   Pte. Gribben T.

2 hours ago, clk said:

image.png.36415a9867dcc83617b32f3b676c31b4.png

As I thought all along, '1 Canadian D.Sup.' stands for 1st Canadian Supply Column.:w00t:

(Why couldn't they just write 'Div. Sup. Col'  then I wonder? I know there was a war on, but they must have been taught to use standardised abbreviations!)

Hi,

4 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

As I thought all along, '1 Canadian D.Sup.' stands for 1st Canadian Supply Column.:w00t:

(Why couldn't they just write 'Div. Sup. Col'  then I wonder? I know there was a war on, but they must have been taught to use standardised abbreviations!)

Personally, I think that it was a tad inconsiderate of them  :thumbsup: 

Regards

Chris

On 03/07/2018 at 03:56, ForeignGong said:

oes the comment under 38 Fld relate to Rawley or the chap below??

Rawley. The unit title was 38 Field Ambulance Workshop - a small unit which serviced the motor ambulance cars.

On 03/07/2018 at 03:56, ForeignGong said:

Rawley again. The ditto marks indicate that, like the preceding entry, he had a gun shot wound, in Rawley's case to his left shoulder.

Ron

Ron,

The 14 roll and MIC state 38th Field Company, where do you get "38 Field Ambulance Workshop " please?????

5 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Rawley. The unit title was 38 Field Ambulance Workshop - a small unit which serviced the motor ambulance cars. 

Rawley again. The ditto marks indicate that, like the preceding entry, he had a gun shot wound, in Rawley's case to his left shoulder.

Ron