Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Canadian Battalion CEF at Arrass 1918

Guest The Queens Bay

Guest The Queens Bay

I am trying to find information on the 3rd Bn CEF who where at Arrass in September 1918, my Great Grandfather was wounded there, on the 21st September. If anyone body has the disposition of this unit at that time, any Regimental History or photographs, please contact me John Johnson at johnjohnson64wanadoo.co.uk@fsmail.net. I look forward to your responses gentlemen and women. :D

John, if you go here, you will be able to type in "3rd" and pull up the War Diaries for the unit. There is no mention of any casualties on Sept. 21st; it seems the unit was resting.

You may also wish to visit here, for some further leads. The Nicholson online book may prove helpful.

Peter in Vancouver

The Third (Toronto) Battalion of the CEF was composed of men from the Queen's Own Rifles (the 2nd Regiment), the 10th Royal Grenadiers, and the Governor-General's Body Guard. The 3rd Battalion was an important part of Canada's first contingent sent over in late 1914, and suffered greatly at the 2nd battle of Ypres. Afterwards, the battalion would have reinforced their ranks with men from a variety of local units raised in Canada. The 204th Beavers of Toronto were one of the locally raised units that provided reinforcements to the 3rd battalion among others.

I've checked through the obituaries I have for 300 or so 3rd Battalion men. I do not have anyone dying (as mentioned above) on September 21st - the nearest I could find was Sept. 27th. Here's an example (go to the photo collection) -

Officer of the 3rd Battalion