Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

meaning of 'tambour'?

Snapper41

hi all

I wonder if anyone can tell me what 'tambour' means? I am reading some WW1 diaries, and the word crops up frequently, so as this entry:

Enemy sent 5 shells across which burst within 30yds of our tambour. Left tambour and moved into trenches; much safer than the tambour.

I've heard of the tambour mines, but this isn't them - it seems to be some sort of shelter perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

Possibly a crater such as those west of Fricourt (created by said mines)?

A tambour is a drum or drummer. The Tambour at Fricourt was so named because of the shape of the small French (then British) salient in the front line at this position (which, surprise, surprise, resembled a drum in profile) - in similar vein to locations such as 'Popes Nose', 'Caesar's Nose', etc. Other 'tambours' did exist including another in the German front line ('The German Tambour') immediately southeast of the French/British one.

Dave

(However, an 'abri tambour' ('drum shelter') is a cylindrical canvas tent/awning type thing so there might be a play on words)

Edited by CROONAERT

16 hours ago, CROONAERT said:

A tambour is a drum or drummer. The Tambour at Fricourt was so named because of the shape of the small French (then British) salient in the front line at this position (which, surprise, surprise, resembled a drum in profile) - in similar vein to locations such as 'Popes Nose', 'Caesar's Nose', etc. Other 'tambours' did exist including another in the German front line ('The German Tambour') immediately southeast of the French/British one.

Dave

(However, an 'abri tambour' ('drum shelter') is a cylindrical canvas tent/awning type thing so there might be a play on words)

I think your last line is right - it seems to be a shelter of some sort

There is a definition on page 605 A Dictionary of Military Terms by Edward S Farrow. Revised edition 1918. Archive.org.

In fortification, a small work, usually a timber stockade, about 6 feet high and loop-holed. Its object is to defend a gateway, the road into a village, or to afford flanking fire on a bridge etc

https://archive.org/stream/adictionarymili00farrgoog#page/n628/mode/1up

Cheers

Maureen

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2018 at 09:05, Maureene said:

There is a definition on page 605 A Dictionary of Military Terms by Edward S Farrow. Revised edition 1918. Archive.org.

In fortification, a small work, usually a timber stockade, about 6 feet high and loop-holed. Its object is to defend a gateway, the road into a village, or to afford flanking fire on a bridge etc

https://archive.org/stream/adictionarymili00farrgoog#page/n628/mode/1up

Cheers

Maureen

I think you've cracked it! Many thanks Maureene