Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of Grave in Godewaersvelde British Cemetery

Anneca

Would someone be kind enough to tell me where I could find a photo of the CWGC gravestone for Ernest Samuel Read, 10th Bn. The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment. If not, a photo of his name on the monument would be great.

Anne

Thank you Max, much appreciated. I didn't know they would do this.

Anne

Hi

There are 2 photographs on Findagrave but for some reason I cannot open them on my Kindle.

It may be worth having a look.

Regards,

Graeme

Thank you Graeme, the only photo I can find is the one Max has referred to which is the one in Lower Harlestone, Northamptonshire. As I know his grave reference at Godewaersvelde I thought there might be a photo of that grave or an image of his name on the memorial.  Max, I have contacted Britishwargraves as you suggested and hope for a reply.

Anne

Hi can’t find his grave but can find a picture in find my grave of him

265F7136-EC1A-4721-96B0-F48747B612FF.jpeg

The other picture must be a family member 

2648DC02-46D4-4B21-8046-4C99301E4F73.jpeg

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:31, Anneca said:

Would someone be kind enough to tell me where I could find a photo of the CWGC gravestone for Ernest Samuel Read, 10th Bn. The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment. If not, a photo of his name on the monument would be great.

Anne

Thank you for the trouble of posting the photos Dazscuba, most kind of you.  Yes, I have both those photos, the stone at home with his wife's name and also Ernest's photo.  What bothers me is knowing he has a grave at Godewaersvelde British Cemetery, a photo of his headstone or one of an inscription of his name on the memorial must be somewhere - perhaps I am too optimistic!  Thank you again.

Anne

Thank you Billy.

Anne - Mick McGann who runs the site has an army of volunteers (I among them at one time) who over the years have photographed  many many thousands of war graves. His site says he has photos of all the graves in that cemetery and he is always happy to send to anyone who asks.  He does spend time himself roaming cemeteries world wide adding to his database so sometimes is unable to reply to requests immediately.

I should in fairness point out that there is also the War Graves Photographic Project https://www.twgpp.org/

Max

Thank you Billy H and Max.  I did contact Britishwargraves.co.uk on Monday but understand if they have one might eventually get back to me.  I will have a look at your link Max.

Kind regards,

Anne

1 hour ago, MaxD said:

Thank you Billy.

Anne - Mick McGann who runs the site has an army of volunteers (I among them at one time) who over the years have photographed  many many thousands of war graves. His site says he has photos of all the graves in that cemetery and he is always happy to send to anyone who asks.  He does spend time himself roaming cemeteries world wide adding to his database so sometimes is unable to reply to requests immediately.

I should in fairness point out that there is also the War Graves Photographic Project https://www.twgpp.org/

Max

Max, you're a blessing in disguise - I got onto the War Graves Photographic Project, found the gravestone and placed an order for a photo.  This is just amazing and thank you so much for your help.

Anne

You will shortly get a free copy from British War Graves as well.

But at least one of them may be better than the other?

BillyH.

BillyH, the way I look at it is "two of the same is much better than none of the one".  Your help has been much appreciated.

Anne

Feel I have found a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.  Now have both images of the war grave so two of the same is much better than none of the one.  Both are slightly different, taken at different times and levels giving a contrasting perspective.  Just wonderful!  Thank you gentlemen for your help with this.

Anne

Delighted to have been able to help.  You may be aware that Ernest died of wounds in one of the three Casualty Clearing Stations that were located in Godewaersvelde.  In July 1917 about half of his battalion were in camp at Westoutre (Westouter) carrying out training while the remainder were providing working parties to another battalion at Ridge Wood.  The only casualties in July recorded in the war diary are on 24 July when 7 men were killed and 6 wounded at Westoutre , the cause is not stated.

Both these locations are on the map and image at the link:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=13&lat=50.7886&lon=2.8016&layers=101464933&right=BingHyb

Westouter is on the west (top left) side and Ridge Wood on the east (top right) above Vierstraat.  The cemetery is about 5 miles in a straight line west from Westouter.

Hope this adds a bit to his story.

Max

You are just a twinkling star Max!

Anne