Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RFA Shoulder badge

Steve68

My great Uncle joined the 5th London Royal Field Artillery in Feb 15 as a territorial and I assume would have worn the corresponding cap badge. He was posted to the Western front on 21st June 16 and was part of 300 brigade RFA, would he have continued to wear his 5th London cap badge or would he have worn a general RFA badge?

21 minutes ago, Steve68 said:

My great Uncle joined the 5th London Royal Field Artillery in Feb 15 as a territorial and I assume would have worn the corresponding cap badge. He was posted to the Western front on 21st June 16 and was part of 300 brigade RFA, would he have continued to wear his 5th London cap badge or would he have worn a general RFA badge?

Only the shoulder title was specific to the 5th London RFA (TF), the cap badge was generic RA TF pattern. As the war went on beyond 1916 and conscription began the insignia often became more mixed as men became wounded and replacements posted in.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Only the shoulder title was specific to the 5th London RFA (TF)

What about the (much copied/faked) 5th London Brigade RFA cap badge? Who wore this and when ?

Charlie

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

What about the (much copied/faked) 5th London Brigade RFA cap badge? Who wore this and when ?

Charlie

My understanding from Norman Litchfield is that the badge was only in use between 1908 when the TF was created and mobilisation in 1914.  There is no evidence that the unit was still wearing the badge when deployed, as far as I have been able to ascertain from research and badge collection.  Relatively few badges could have been made in that time span and it is known that fake, reproduction badges are prolific, as they are perceived by unscrupulous dealers as likely to command a premium.  I will be happy and open minded to learn other views.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

only in use between 1908 when the TF was created and mobilisation in 1914.

Interesting. Is it not likely that pre-war attestations will have kept their distinctive capbadge and continued wearing it ? Would that have been tolerated? Would there have been a specific order withdrawing the badge ?

I have one of these capbadges which I aquired in the '70s but I believe that was when such fakes were starting to be circulated and that mine is indeed a fake. Symptomatic of the reason I stopped collecting!

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

53 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Interesting. Is it not likely that pre-war attestations will have kept their distinctive capbadge and continued wearing it ? Would that have been tolerated? Would there have been a specific order withdrawing the badge ?

I have one of these capbadges which I aquired in the '70s but I believe that was when such fakes were starting to be circulated and that mine is indeed a fake. Symptomatic of the reason I stopped collecting!

Charlie

I can’t answer those questions unequivocally Charlie, but the TF were relatively strict in their observation of dress instructions, in part because a common pre-war criticism (often perhaps unfairly) from regulars was that they did not take uniformity seriously.  By comparison the war-raised Service battalions of the New Army were more pragmatic.  There probably was a general order referring to the badges, but I have never seen it.  I suspect that they were merely ordered by a GRO to wear the same cap badge as the other TF Brigades.  This would have been for practical reasons concerned with the supply chain into the front line.

Edited by FROGSMILE