Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Concentration return query.

stevej60

Hi folk's excuse my ignorance but could someone explain some of the term's found on these document's,I tried to find out on the CWGC

website without luck it's the various initial.s on this concentration document.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/191331/peacock,-/#&gid=null&pid=1

Edited by stevej60

Hi Steve,

I'll have another look in the morning but the term GRU is Graves Registration Unit. The location of Pte. Peacock's grave was noted by the unit and acted on in 1919 when no.21 Labour Company searched the area. The location where he was found is shown by the map reference column. I'm guessing but I think the references to the unknown soldiers like S.S.32 may refer to the GRU document they were using for the search. Could be wrong of course, hopefully an expert will be along to put me straight.

Pete.

9 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Hi Steve,

I'll have another look in the morning but the term GRU is Graves Registration Unit. The location of Pte. Peacock's grave was noted by the unit and acted on in 1919 when no.21 Labour Company searched the area. The location where he was found is shown by the map reference column. I'm guessing but I think the references to the unknown soldiers like S.S.32 may refer to the GRU document they were using for the search. Could be wrong of course, hopefully an expert will be along to put me straight.

Pete.

Thank's Pete,it was terms such as BA 15 etc and some other's that were puzzling me on these return's I used Pte Peacock's document as it had a number

of these various terms listed.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the complete set you can COG-BR.

If it is the same Gordon Dump then I have already zipped that cemetery:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/5dvqk9hdm4q55/Gordon_Dump_Cemetery

Richard from Canada

The reference numbers S.S., B.A. etc are to White Serial Crosses, first used on the Somme (these references appear in many Somme related concentration returns) by Captain Thomas, a G.R.U. Officer, see below:

https://warrecordsrevealed.com/graves-registration-commission-directorate-of-graves-registration-enquiries-i-w-g-c-record-glossary/#unique-identifier9a

Interesting to see some crosses under these references being used as special memorials to cover several burials. Looking at the COG-BR provided by Richard gives a good sense of how they were used.

Best

Justin

Edited by Justinth