Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AILLES near the Chemin des Dames 1914

Perth Digger

I am looking at a cavalry officer, Lt C.B. Leechman, went missing on the night of 23-24 September 1914, while alone on foot and intending to go the French lines immediately alongside I Division's right near Paissy. A report from Germany in March 1915 claimed that his body had been found near Ailles, about 50 metres north the Chemin des Dames. A German officer thought that the body would subsequently have been buried by the French, but nothing was heard of him again. I'd like to find a source that gives the details of the fighting on that part of the line on these days. It sounds as if the Germans were in control on the 26th but the French at some time thereafter. The 1st Queen's were on the extreme right of I Division t the time and I have access to their war diary. I have no information about the French units.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

Mike

What was his unit? Maybe regtl history has something on him. 1/Queens sounds like infantry bn or am I missing the connection?

Sounds an interesting case to be solved.

Leechman was in 3rd Hussars, part of 1st Cavalry Division, Loader. They were being used as a mobile reserve and at the relevant time had filled a gap between the British and French armies. The unit had been withdrawn, but Leechman was left with his patrol until a relief came up. He was thus pretty much on his own and had gone forward alone when he went missing. I presume he got lost. 

I'm intrigued as to why the Germans never officially reported finding him. They obviously had his papers. He was found by a Corporal of 3rd Infantry Regiment, No. 102 "King Ludwig III of Bavaria". 

Ailles, apparently, no longer exists. It was never rebuilt.

Mike

14 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

Ailles, apparently, no longer exists. It was never rebuilt.

You can locate the site of Ailles on Google Maps by typing in Monument d'Aillies. It is north of the Chemin des Dames in the Foret de Vauclair. The actual site is east of the monument as described in Andrew Uffindel's "The Nivelle Offensive and the Battle of the Aisne 1917" here:  https://books.google.com/books?id=7JtICgAAQBAJ&pg=PT42&lpg=PT42&dq=destruction+of+ailles+(aisne),+1914-1918&source=bl&ots=Xrw9K1JLdi&sig=0lmPPyveOuIbNVt3kBa4KcfmVRI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk0JPNkv7bAhWs5oMKHRlwC8QQ6AEIhQEwEA#v=onepage&q=destruction of ailles (aisne)%2C 1914-1918&f=false 
In Regards to Colin Leechman I couldn't find anything more about his death in the 3rd (King's Own) Hussar history, but it is here on page 49 if you want a look:  http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/library/Cavalry-Yeomanry-Histories/library/The-3rd-Kings-Own-Hussars-in-the-Great-War-1914-1919/HTML/index.asp 
and a short biography (pdf file) from "The Polo Monthly, April 1915".   

Also a photo from the IWM (via "the Bond of Sacrifice") of Leechman (pre-war?): https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205384448

Hopefully all the links will work for you. 

Colin Barclay Leechman.pdf

Edited by lostinspace

Thanks Mike for the explanation. Does seem odd the Germans had his papers & all. I's still puzzled why he went out alone is such a situation. I'd have thought he'd take at least 1 man from his patrol with him but maybe his estimate of the situation precluded that option. A mystery I guess will never be solved. Likely ran into an enemy patrol or outpost & met his end.

Many thanks, LISpace, for the pdf and the map of where Ailles once was.

Mike

Those were exactly the questions I asked myself, Loader. The corporal may well have been looking for "souvenirs". The Germans had been told that Leechman had been lost at Paissy, so were confused when he was found near Ailles. 

Perhaps Leechman was over-confident? He had made the same journey several times that day, but in daylight.

Mike

11 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

Many thanks, LISpace, for the pdf and the map of where Ailles once was.

Mike

You're quite welcome. I found his ICRC card which shows eleven requests for information from either his family or the war office (numbers across the top) but no further information other than confirming when he went missing. Not sure what the N 12435 refers to, can't seem to search for it, but maybe someone else on the forum knows?
Do you think that the 3 Hussar war diary might have additional information? 

Dave

C_G1_E_15_01_0053_1312_0.JPG

13 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

... the map of where Ailles once was...

This 'Map then and now' will give an even clearer indication...

Image3.jpg

Layout of the village as it once was. Note that, though the village no longer exists, the road system remains the same today.

Dave

Hurtebise 22 Aug 1917.jpg

Many thanks, Dave. I'd forgotten to check the International Red X archives.

Before the N12435 number it looks like Fiche, ie, File. Below that seems to be an address in Paris. Elsie was probably his sister. The currency at the bottom: cost of telegrams? The numbers at the top are not searchable. Can't make out this word/phrase:

image.png.85d84180cb95b9617c4b117c5c994821.png

Mike

That's very helpful Croonaert, thanks. Leechman was found 'near Ailles, about 50 metres north of the Chemin des Dames road'. 

Mike

I've had another look at the CWGC website and there is more information that I'd missed at first.

A burials Labour Company in January 1920 found a cross with the information that it was for an Unknown British Officer, Cavalry.

It was found at: French Map Rheims (Rethel) 1:50000. REF: 299.2.x.206.5. I presume this must be near Ailles or south near the Chemin des Dames Road.

The body was slated to be re-buried at Vendresse British Cemetery, but on exhumation no body was found. But it was confirmed, in 1920, that it had to be Leechman. He thus had to be commemorated on the La Ferté Memorial. 

I wonder if the cross was returned to his family?

This pretty much confirms that the French buried him (the Germans had his documents).

Mike

Mike,

I suppose the empty grave can be explained by the heavy fighting in the area that continued throughout the war, made it very hard on the family though.

Did Locate the history of the Saxon regiment involved, but as far as I can tell, there is no mention of finding an English officer's body. Here is that site if
you would like to take a look: http://digital.slub-dresden.de/werkansicht/dlf/188258/1/ 

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks very much. I'm not a German speaker, but will see if I can make anything out. 

Yes, I'm sure the body was lost in subsequent fighting. A very common sequel to so many burials.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2018 at 14:36, lostinspace said:

Here is that site if you would like to take a look: http://digital.slub-dresden.de/werkansicht/dlf/188258/1/ 

Fantastic, I didn't know this was online - as it happens I am currently awaiting a large batch of original photos from IR 102, so this is most timely!

I've had a look for clues to the fate of Lt. Leechman, but sadly without success. IR 102 was in the right area until 7th October, when they were relieved by Prussian IR 159 and their brigade went into reserve. After taking part in the fighting at Hill 108 between Berry-au-Bac and Guignicourt, they returned on 20th October and held the sector shown below until the end of January 1915.

197.jpg.cd01221b7c8326f2eef3fadae5caecd3.jpg