Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th Alexandra, Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment

kelly

Hi all

I've recently been researching a private 2785 George Berriman, 1/5th Alexandra, Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment

George is documented as dying on 25/09/15 at Loo's when in actual fact he died on 25/05/15 around Sanctuary Wood (I have his death certificate)

Commemorated on and ADDENDA panel at the Menin Gate, I'm submitting documented evidence to the CWGC in the hope I can get his details changed

Should I be successful I would hope I could get his name removed from the addenda panel and placed on panel 33 along with his comrades

Seeking guidance and opinion are there any experts who may wish to comment

Regards

Not an expert but interested to note that both CWGC and SDGW say 25/9/15.

However the more reliable financial record, Soldiers Effects says 25/5/18 including a first financial entry June 1915 and even the Daily Casualty List of June 1915 reported him killed.

Quite possible that a 5 was transcribed as 9.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

When I tried to come up with a path for the records after a man was killed they seem to pretty much split off at the base - a copy of any relevant records going to the Paymaster and another to the Regimental Records (and later the SDGW and CWGC). Whatever they did at this stage there seem to be quite a few errors which crept in at the point of splitting.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

17 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Not an expert but interested to note that both CWGC and SDGW say 25/9/15.

However the more reliable financial record, Soldiers Effects says 25/5/18 including a first financial entry June 1915 and even the Daily Casualty List of June 1915 reported him killed.

Quite possible that a 5 was transcribed as 9.

Charlie

Hi Charlie, thanks for your input, I now have an extract from the local paper siting the date of death as 25/05/15

Going to get it off to the CWGC in the hope they will change the details

Garry

16 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

When I tried to come up with a path for the records after a man was killed they seem to pretty much split off at the base - a copy of any relevant records going to the Paymaster and another to the Regimental Records (and later the SDGW and CWGC). Whatever they did at this stage there seem to be quite a few errors which crept in at the point of splitting.

Craig

Hi Craig, sorry but I don't understand what you are saying, could you put it another way please

Garry

Records of death were sent back from the front on a report - at some point along the way that single report was copied in to two new reports. One report went to the branch that dealt with personnel records and the other went to the part that dealt with the effects and pay. Once the records were seperated an error can creep in to one side that is not present on the other.

As can be seen in this case - the Soldiers' Effects records on the pay side have a different date to that shown on the personnel records (from which side SDGW and CWCG took their data). This means the error was introduced on the personnel records side after the paperwork was split and not before (otherwise both sides would have the wrong date).

Craig

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Craig, that's v helpful to know. charlie

Still a work in progress but that's how much I've tied it down so far - hopefully once the Field Regulations Part 2 drops through my door I may be able to tie it down further and work out the specifics. The death notification (in various forms) went to the Adjutant General at the 3rd Echelon Base in France and then they dispatched the forms from there as far as I can tell.

Craig