Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Purchased these two babies last weekend

museumtom

I purchased these two babies last weekend at a Military show. I was most pleased I have to say.

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

Nice find and in very good condition.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Excellent find, nice to see them so complete.

Dave.

Thanks lads. When the British marched out of Ireland in 1922 they left behind a vast amount of equipment. These two are survivors of this. Others that I know of are three draw and two draw telescopes, marching compasses, and exploder boxes. And sometimes they turn up for sale in untouched state.

Edited by museumtom

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

Thanks lads. When the British marched out of Ireland in 1922 they left behind a vast amount of equipment. These two are survivors of this. Others that I know of are three draw and two draw telescopes, marching compasses, and exploder boxes. And sometimes they turn up for sale in untouched state.

museumtom,

Amongst the equipment left by the British in 1922, were a large quantity of Crossley Tenders.

My late father went to work for his uncle in Dublin in the mid 1920's, in the words of the song:-

"apprenticed to a grocer, not far from Stephen's Green".  By then the Crossley's were being used

by the Free State Army, with a number parked in a city centre compound, as a spare

parts source.  He was able to poke about quite freely, amongst the partially stripped vehicles.

As a youngster in County Cavan, he had been able to distinguish the Crossley engine note from

some distance, when in use by the British Army.

Mike.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what sizes were available?

I have a Houghton-butcher 15 dated one that stands at just over a foot high, and an interwar un-named but broad arrow stamped one that stands just over 5foot high....there seems to be quite a bit of speculation that the stubby ones were cut down from larger versions to be sold as sniper stands...but the two above are both the same uniform length....just curious.

Dave.

I am strongly of the opinion that the short tripods were manufactured or converted to a standard. There is a lengthy discussion on the tripods in the link below. My biggest reason for thinking that the short versions were an issue item is the regularity of size and construction. If they had been converted by civilian competition shooters or at the unit level the size and construction details would be all over the place. The three I have are virtually identical and the fit of the metal feet and joint at the head are the same as the long tripods I have.  Many pictures in the link below.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/115237-signalling-telescope-stands-tripods/

I have one of the short legged stands and have always assumed it was converted post-war to supply the increasingly popular sport of small-bore shooting, as a spotting scope stand.  Several firms were working their way through Government stocks of Martini action rifles for the shooter on a budget who could not afford the latest BSA or Vickers target rifle, so I see no reason why they shouldn't have been making a standardised spotting scope stand.  Once you have got your product approved by the NSRA, you would make them to a set pattern.

Forgot to add that mine is Sig, tel stand Mark V, No 14920, Siemens london 1916, leg length from pin to point 13.5 "

Edited by T8HANTS
update info

Very interesting, thanks.

the one I have is difficult to get at, but the leg length is just a shade over 11 inches, broad arrow stamped but no indication of sold out of service...the big one, some one lopped the spikes off and put rubber feet on?!

so much speculation, but seeing the two together both uniform in length is unusual.

Dave.

• 4 months later...

Hello from Belgium. Lovely stands !

Edited by RonnieBee