Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial, Oban

mbriscoe

War Memorial, Oban
-
This memorial is in the middle of Oban at approximately NM 85870 30153 (estimated).
---
In memory of all those who
lost their lives in both World
Wars and all conflicts since.
---
Slate panel mounted on stone wall
-

FLICKR

1-IMG_0428.thumb.JPG.011e590562080886460323bee7881c3c.JPG2-IMG_0429.thumb.JPG.59f303240359988b3023443deaa81f78.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

There is a small military museum also, with some very interesting exhibits.  I recommend it to you, if you are passing.

The structure in mbriscoe's photo was new (I think) last summer.

[Edit: it was in fact opened in Oct 2015, but I didn't spot it until summer 2016 when the Oban High Pipe Band were entertaining there!

Here's the official council press release ...

Official opening of Oban’s remodelled Stafford Street

Published Date: 

13 Oct 2015 - 11:57

The newly remodelled Stafford Street in Oban was officially opened last week (Wednesday 7th October) by councillors Ellen Morton and Roddy McCuish.  

Sarah MacIntyre of Park, Adam Bratton of Rockfield and Aaliyah Barr of St Columba primary schools, the winners of an art competition which ran alongside the project, were on hand to help the councillors cut the ribbon.

Also in attendance was the Depute Lord Lieutenant, Graeme MacQueen, representing the Royal British Legion, to unveil the specially commissioned plaque commemorating those who lost their lives in both World Wars and all conflicts since.  

Councillor Ellen Morton, Policy Lead for Infrastructure, said: ’’This is a great boost for the town and we were delighted to see so many local people at the opening, making use of the great new public space the council has created.

‘’We really appreciate the patience shown by the public and businesses as this work has gone on and are hopeful that they will start to see the benefits of increased footfall and money through the till very soon.

‘’We would encourage them to take advantage of the new space and make outdoor dining a possibility for their customers.

‘’This is just the start of major regeneration work for Oban, with a further phase of public realm improvements planned along George Street starting in the New Year.’’

Councillor Roddy McCuish, Chair of the Oban, Lorn and the Isles Area Committee, said: ‘’This is a real good news story for the town; it is very heartening to see the new space being used.

‘’It was particularly good to have Sarah, Adam and Aaliyah here to help us cut the ribbon. It’s great when the community can get involved in projects like this.’’

There's also a small memorial to the 51st Highland Division on the verge outside the Corran Halls. 

I have yet to inspect it closely, but I note that the photos on its entry on the IWM War Memorials Register are by you Mr Briscoe,!

Mark

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

15 hours ago, mbriscoe said:

Probably a few others around the town.

Results in the IWM War Memorial Register:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/search?query=oban&pageSize=60

Also the Argyll entries on the excellent Scottish War Memorial Project split by category:

http://www.warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic8158.html

One hopes the Photobucket problem there will soon begin to reduce in impact.

Mark

3 hours ago, BullerTurner said:

There is a small military museum also, with some very interesting exhibits.  I recommend it to you, if you are passing.

Yes been there a few times.

2 hours ago, MBrockway said:

The structure in mbriscoe's photo was new (I think) last summer.

[Edit: it was in fact opened in Oct 2015, but I didn't spot it until summer 2016 when the Oban High Pipe Band were entertaining there!

Here's the official council press release ...

There's also a small memorial to the 51st Highland Division on the verge outside the Corran Halls. 

I have yet to inspect it closely, but I note that the photos on its entry on the IWM War Memorials Register are by you Mr Briscoe,!

Mark

Mark

The 51HD is here

https://canmore.org.uk/site/320641/oban-51st-highland-division-war-memorial

There was a programme about 51HD in WWII on CH4 on Sunday, recorded it but not seen it yet.

Yes I told the IWM WMR they could help themselves to any of mine off FLICKR so they still have my watermark on those.  I am now a "Remote Volunteer" so can upload myself, been going over ones from the last month or so and Fort William ones (now seen a picture of the silver Ciborium but still trying to find a way of photographing it)  but work back through older ones when I get time.

I know there are quite a few around Oban but they tend to often be in buildings so not always accessible.  Never got involved with the Scottish war memorial site. 

I have one elusive one today but a bit of a disappointment.  Also saw a facsimile of the Arisaig Roll of Honour, I picked up a CD about Arisaig in WWI so be interested to see what that has on it.  I was also pleased to confirm that the memorial at Polnish has survived conversion to a residence.  I risk life and limb by ignoring the warning noticed to go up and have a look!  B)