Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2104 Pvt J.SMITH . South Notts Hussars

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from a scorching Sherwood Forest. Without doubt the hottest day this year.

My  present research project really has me stumped. War & Victory medals to 2104 Pvt J. Smith  South Notts Hussars.

I have never been able to make any progress on these at all. So I will be very grateful of any information whatever

about him.  Hope that someone can help.

Old Robin Hood

FMP have two medical records for him in 1916 while in the SNH  and his medal card says he went from the SNH to the Machine Gun Corps Cavalry with the number 134654.  Was disembodied 4 Mar 1919 (floats round like a ghost for ever afterwards?)

Usual story though no detailed service record .

Max

• Admin

Attested locally (Nottingham?) on the 28th June 1915, joining the 3/1st South Nottinghamshire Hussars.

His MGC number appears to indicate a re-enlistment around the end of July 1919.

What happened in- between is a bit more speculative but my guess is he went to Salonika with the 1/1 in February 1916.  He would be renumbered in 1917 (275001-275000) and probably again when the Bn converted to the MGC (see LLT).

Medals named to SNH first unit served overseas with - issue administered by MGC - for the purpose of issuing medals what happened in-between was not relevant.

My guess is the medical records referred to above were for malaria but you would need to confirm.

Ken

Good spot Ken.  Jul 1916 effects of heat at 25 (wrong transcription on FMP says 28) CCS (Salonika) unit described as I Squadron

Aug 1916 at QA Hospital Millbank malaria unit B Squadron SNH.

Max

Hi,

FWR have transcribed the first of the two MH106 images that FMP has. Their interpretation reads:

First Name: J

Surname: Smith

Service Number: 2104

Years Service: 1 year 6 months*

Months With Field Force: 3 months*

Ailment: Effects of heat

Date Transferred to Other Hospitals: 15/07/1916

Date of Transfer From Other Hospitals: 6/07/1916

Notes written in the Observations Column: From No. 25 Casualty Clearing Station. To Hospital Ship Valdivia.

Religion: Church of England

Regiment: South Nottinghamshire Hussars

Battalion: B Squadron 

Archive Reference: MH106/1311 - Representative Medical Records of No. 28 General Hospital, Salonika.

*These are faithful to the image that FMP has. However, come the 31st August 1916 admission to the UK hospital the register entries are given as 1 year and 2 months; and 8 months respectively. They would give estimated dates that fit better to those that Ken posted.

Regards

Chris

Salutations from the Forest Of Sherwood.

Many thanks to Max  Ken and Chris. I just don't know how you do it. As I said I have been looking for information

on Pvt Smith for years and found nothing. I still cant find his medal index card even now.

I know how he must have felt suffering from the effects of heat, Yesterday a woollen outlaw costume was not

ideal wear.

Anyway my thanks to you for the information

Old ( warm ) Robin Hood

I am unsure whether, among the illustrious company that inhabits this forum, I may be so bold as to offer a tip regarding medal cards?

Here goes anyway - tip that works almost all of the time.  Search the National Archives with just (in his case) 2104 Medal Smith Hussars - up comes your man.  View the low resolution image which in almost all cases is readable enough - bingo.  The FMP search works on 2104 Smith just leaving a wee bit of further digging, Ancestry a bit more convoluted.  Are you perhaps giving too much info - less is more!

Max

3 hours ago, OLD ROBIN HOOD said:

Salutations from the Forest Of Sherwood.

Many thanks to Max  Ken and Chris. I just don't know how you do it. As I said I have been looking for information

on Pvt Smith for years and found nothing. I still cant find his medal index card even now.

I know how he must have felt suffering from the effects of heat, Yesterday a woollen outlaw costume was not

ideal wear.

Anyway my thanks to you for the information

Old ( warm ) Robin Hood

MIC is here on ancestry

Like many yeomanry regiments, the South Notts Hussars transferred from Palestine to France in early 1918 and were converted to MG troops. I have the history at home so will see if there's anything of help.

Greetings from Sherwood

Many thanks for information on Medal Index Cards. I only use Ancestry at my local library. I will try again there.

Old Robin Hood