Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Joe and Morton Siswick

I'm trying to find out about my wife's father, Joe Siswick and her Uncle Morton Siswick who joined the Sherwood Foresters in WW1. They enlisted together and must have been in-line together as they have sequential numbers Joe 20102/269320 and Morton 20103/269321.

Do these numbers mean anything to anyone? Both survived the war although Morton was shot in the thigh and neck and is supposed to had a silver windpipe inserted.

The medal rolls for the British War & Victory medals say they served overseas in 1/7th Battalion, a Territorial unit known as the 'Robin Hood' battalion raised predominantly from Nottingham. The LLT here has the basics of the battalion's war service, which was all on the Western Front, and there's a bit more here.

That second regimental number was the result of the renumbering of the Territorial Force in early 1917, I should think (so, when they joined up they were given their regimental number, but in 1917 all Territorials were given a new, longer number to replace their original). A 7th Bn man with the number immediately before Morton's, 269319 A/Cpl Ernest Sims, has a Silver War Badge record which shows he enlisted on 10th December 1915; 269324 Pte Stanton enlisted on 31st October 1915. I guess the two brothers joined up somewhere towards the end of 1915, then. 

They certainly can't have served overseas before January 1916 as they weren't entitled to either a 1914 or a 1914-15 Star. I couldn't see a Silver War Badge record for Morton Siswick, which just means that he wasn't discharged from the Army unfit - doesn't mean he wasn't wounded, possibly multiple times. Though a silver windpipe sounds very exotic! If there are service papers for one or both (you can search on Ancestry or FMP), then you'll learn more but it should be said that the majority were lost in the Second World War.

Cheers, Pat