Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Catterick Military Hospital medical abbreviations.

laurieandreg

On Find my Past I have located the entry for L Steel, rank Driver, army No. 290805 at Catterick Military Hospital and would be grateful if someone could interpret the following abbreviations:

Gassed, RH. Does RH mean right hand lung?

28:11:17  11B  Is this an admission date? What does 11B mean? According to a report in the Goole Times he was gassed in France in October 1917 whilst rescuing wounded.

18 1/18  11A    Is this a date or period of time (the second part is written as a fraction) followed by an improvement in his condition and discharge?

Geoff

I'm afraid not. My subscription to Find my Past has expired and all I have is the notes I made at my local library. From memory there were about 4 columns with these abbreviations. Lawrence Steel falls into one category and later (if 18 1/8 is a date or elapsed time) into another. He did survive the war.

I will see if I can print a copy but, for family reasons, may not be able to get there immediately.

Regards

Geoff

It's in the MH/106 series. it does seem to show 'Gassed, RH' but other entries have 'PUO, RH' or just 'Gassed'. There is a man on the following page who has 'GSW. Arm. R. L.M. W.M.' which makes me wonder if these are initials or codes?

Another man has 'PUO. Requires Hardening'. There seem to be a few that suggest progress in treatment EG 'Gassed, DAH, No Marching', or 'DAH, No PT'

I think 'Gassed, Requires Hardening' is the most likely explanation.

The 11b is in a column divided up in 4 possiblites under the heading of Division; III,  IIB, IIA & I. I think they are roman numerals and he was originally IIB then IIA from 18/1/1918. Perhaps these are divisions (wards) with the hospital.

TEW

Edited by TEW

Many thanks. I need to find out more about the hospital in that case. It appears to have been a large collection of wooden huts.

Geoff