Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burial location?

Quadey

Hi everybody, I am currently researching Pte David Stott, 29445, 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers, who was killed in action on October 12th 1916.  Pte Stott is buried at Guards Cemetery, Lesbeoufs, France.  On the CWGC web page for Pte Stott, it shows he was buried twice, firstly at, "57c.N.34.b.8.8.", and then his final resting place at Guards Cemetery.  Can any kind person point me in the direction as to where I can locate 57c.N.34.b.8.8. please?

Map and image here:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.0526&lon=2.8668&layers=101465185&right=BingHyb

N 34 B is the top right quadrant in the square N 34, then 8 tenths along and 8 tenths up puts the location bottom left of the square dark green field to the west of the present day A1

Max

• 3 months later...

Thank you so much Max!  Pte Stott's Gt Nephew will be delighted now!  He is trying to go to France in March next year to visit the grave in the Guards Cemetery but to find/see the area he was first interred means the world to him. Thanks again, Pete.

Yes, that was the first thing Pte Stott's Gt Nephew wanted, so we have that. He has got quite a bit of stuff now, it was just knowing where Pte Stott was first interred which was the missing jigsaw piece. That is sorted now 😀 thanks again for your help.