Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Does anyone know what uniform this is?

Sarah-J

I recall seeing such caps used in the late 1800's / early 1900's but I'm sure a uniform expert will correct / confirm that soon enough

4 hours ago, steve fuller said:

I recall seeing such caps used in the late 1800's / early 1900's but I'm sure a uniform expert will correct / confirm that soon enough

So not the Great War then, perhaps the Boer war? I have found another photograph in the same collection, with a similar uniform, but not quite identical.

04 - 1914 - Derby - Unknown.jpg

I have just realized I have another photograph with this uniform - and I know where it's from: The 5th Batt NottS  and Derby 1908 - it's a military band uniform! My Gt Grandfather was in this band - I'm so over whelmed by old photographs I hadn't made the connection. I am beginning to think the man in the photo must have been a friend of my Gt  grandfather, as he only had one brother and they looked very alike, while the chap above looks nothing like either of them.

I have a facebook page of all these old unidentified photographs; I shall update this one with the name of the Band - perhaps a descendant might recognize it.

Sarah

5th Batt Notts and Derby Whitby 1908-Drums 001 (2).jpg

Your first photo above isn’t a bandsman Sarah, he has no ‘wings’ on his shoulder as worn by bandsmen and drummers.  

He wears ‘walking out dress’ of pre 1902 style because his cap is a glengarry that was worn by English, Welsh and Irish Line from 1868 until that year. His tunic has woven shoulder titles in a curve, which suggests a County regiment.  

The collar badges are in the form of a ‘bear and ragged staff’, which together with the dark collar of his pre-1902 tunic, with its distinctive ‘jam pot’ cuffs, makes clear that he is an infantry Private in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (ex 6th Foot) circa the early 1890s.  

All together these features suggest that he is possibly a regular soldier (although he might also be from a Militia battalion, whose uniform was similar), whereas the Notts and Derby corps of drums (NOT 'bandsmen'), with their white facings (collars and cuffs), have the Austrian knot cuff decoration that marked out part-time citizen soldiers of a 'volunteer battalion' of that latter regiment.

I enclose some images.  Note the collar badges and the glengarry badge that is just out of sight in your photo.  The soldier shown is wearing an undress frock (working garment), whereas your man is wearing a full dress tunic with its white piping.

warwickshires badges or.jpg

r warwickshire undress 1890.jpg

R Warwicks collar 1st Patt ORs.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Sarah,

having researched a couple of chaps from that regiment, I can thoroughly recommend the site below, huge amount of old photos on there from all periods....helped me out a treat.

https://derbyshireterritorials.wordpress.com/

Dave.

There is no doubt that he wears an infantry full dress tunic, and no doubt that the collar badge is the 1st pattern adopted by the Royal Warwick’s (it came from the Warwickshire Militia).  However, the tunic does not have the dark blue facings of the regular regiment, so on reflection I think this is a very rare photo of a Militia soldier. The Militia retained

the glengarry cap long after the regulars had switched to the field service cap seen in the Notts&Derby photo.

Jampot cuffs or not, that jacket looks as if he acquired it on the same basis my old mum bought my school blazers: plenty of room to grown into it!

18 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Jampot cuffs or not, that jacket looks as if he acquired it on the same basis my old mum bought my school blazers: plenty of room to grown into it!

Yes a good point.  Such long sleeves make it even more likely he is from the Warwickshire Militia.    Unlike regular battalions, they were unsupported by a Sergeant Master Tailor.