Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Y1903/14. /17. Converted bayonets

Steve1871

I forgot web site, but a "Remington RB bayonet was said to be converted for the Greek Y1903/14. Or /17 rifle. I lost web site but keep finding reference for French Gras bayonet for it. Anyone know 

labour these early conversions? We're they like an Ersatz for Great War or an earlier conversion? Hope someone out there has pics?

period pics from the web would be great.! Thanks. Steve

• 1 month later...

Many WAFFENFABRIK STEYR 'Gras' bayonets already in Greece were certainly converted to Y.1903/1914 fitting after Greece failed to get the Y.1914's made by Simpson because of the Greek de facto declaration of neutrality at the start of WW1 (these went to Bavaria). Greece seems to have received supplies of surplus Gras during WW1, and so some French Gras also converted this way. Several examples of the Steyr ones and some of the French ones also can be found in Turkey - left behind by the Greeks after the Turkish victory in their War of Independence. Not seen a Remingtom Rolling Block example though. The Ottoman army did have some RB rifles 'donated' by Egypt during the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-1878, but I have never seen any bayonets for these - which I assume were socket-type?

Thanks Trajan,great info!

Like I say,collecting is a treasure hunt,never know what you will find or learn! Heard mention of Turkish rolling blocks, did not know if true or from where/how. I have quite a few rolling block rifles and carbines but never seen a Turkish mark d one, will keep eye out on Egypt rifles  for extra markings

On 02/08/2018 at 17:38, Steve1871 said:

Thanks Trajan,great info!

Like I say,collecting is a treasure hunt,never know what you will find or learn! Heard mention of Turkish rolling blocks, did not know if true or from where/how. I have quite a few rolling block rifles and carbines but never seen a Turkish mark d one, will keep eye out on Egypt rifles  for extra markings

In the 1880's, the Ottoman armouries had between 20-50,000 Remington RB rifles, and some of these were - IIRC - according to British Military Intelligence still in service in WW1.