Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Liverpool Regiment - advice please

Guest sues

I'm a total novice at military research and hoping some of you very knowledgeable people can help.

Have just received Great grandad's death certificate and we are very surprised to see that is says "Late Private Kings Liverpool Regiment Identity Certificate No. 510917"

As this is 1917 and he died of cancer in the Liverpool Workhouse Infirmary age 54, does this mean that he was too old for WW1?..... How can I find out when he was in the Kings? His name was William SUDBURY

any help much appreciated

Sue

Sue,

If you send a message via the forum to 'Promenade', Joe may well have some information on your g/grandfather. Joe has details of may thousands of men who served in the King's Liverpool Regt.

If he was 54 in 1917 then he was probably too old for WW1 service but he may have served in South Africa around the turn of the century. I expect that, as he died during WW1, his family would have thought it worthy of note that he was a former soldier himself.

There is only one Sudbury shown on the Medal Index Card online index shown as serving in the King's Liverpool Regt in WW1 and that is a Robert Sudbury.

If you have details of where and when he died, a search of the local newspapers of the time may give you some more information.

Regards,

Ken

Sue,

No William Sudbury listed in the database - it is probable that he never served abroad or was in one of the KLR Docks Battalions thus I am not on a position to help.

Promenade