Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help. Identification of battlefield relics

Sgt Stripes

Please see images. Can anybody tell me if these relics are military or other?. Picked up in the somme area. 

15296908878861390761229.jpg

1529690945953-1596231589.jpg

15296909814141511323096.jpg

Well the top left in both photos is the rear sight protector off a Lee-Enfield rifle:

Image result for lee enfield rear sight protector

Cheers Andrew. One down three to go. Many Thanks for the Photograph. 

6 hours ago, johnboy said:

Pic 1 top left possibly a broken spur

No it is not, it's a rear sight protectot for a Lee Enfield.The bottom right part seems like some part at the end of a rifle to put a bayonet on (German style).

They don't seems like battlefield relics, but just parts from disassembled rifles.

Jan

I have a little bit more information on these relics.. The bottom right object has B 17503-13 SG , stamped on one side while the top right object looks like it has a lever on the outside with a small spring inside that operates another lever on the inside. Interesting that members are pointing to the parts belong to rifles as this object must have screwed into wood and the buckle must have held a belt of some description. The object bottom right looks like it has a smooth troth that might have held a cartridge case or as Jan suggest , a German bayonet fixing under the barrel . No one in the group could tell me anything about them and some even said they were probably of a French tractor      

Edited by Sgt Stripes

Cheers Jrmh. Two down two to go. I wonder if the part was from WW1 or WW2 however its great to have two of the objects identified . Many Thanks

Top right looks like the butt plate of a rifle. the hoop is probably for attaching a sling.

I think top right object may be sling assembly for butt stock of Lewis Gun, the round hole accommodates the oil bottle

regards

Bob R.

Lewis2R-Web.JPG

Edited by robins2
add

were all these parts found in same area ??  if so may indicate a gun repair area ??

None of those items look like 'field finds' there isn't enough rust from sitting in the ground for even 70 years back to WW2, barn finds perhaps.

Hi Many Thanks for helping me to identify these four relics. They were found walking along a track from Serre road cemetery No1 to Sheffield memorial park. They were in a small mound of rubble (Bricks and Tiles) . There were a number of objects however I only took these four plus two 303 stripper clips (which was the only objects I could identifi ). With the four relics now identified I thick as it is coming up to the centenary of the end of WW1, I might have them framed and give them to my Grandsons school , if they will have them. I will keep a check on eBay for five old 303 cartridge case to put in one of the clips.     

4 hours ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Hi Many Thanks for helping me to identify these four relics. They were found walking along a track from Serre road cemetery No1 to Sheffield memorial park. They were in a small mound of rubble (Bricks and Tiles) . There were a number of objects however I only took these four plus two 303 stripper clips (which was the only objects I could identifi ). With the four relics now identified I thick as it is coming up to the centenary of the end of WW1, I might have them framed and give them to my Grandsons school , if they will have them. I will keep a check on eBay for five old 303 cartridge case to put in one of the clips.     

Thats a great find,

Tony