Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry War Diaries

sammo

I hope this is in the right place... please move if not.

I have finally decided to sign up to Ancestry so I can download some documents and have come across some war diaries which I am finding really hard to read via their screens. Does anyone know of any way to download these as full documents (as opposed to one page at a time) or if there is anywhere else I can look where they may be easier to decipher?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sam :)

Hi

that can be an issue with Ancestry, just one page at a time. On National Archives you can download a whole entity, be it 5 or 500 pages the cost is the same at £3.50.

As for enhancing images, it depends on what image manipulation software and skills you have.

Regards

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

With ancestry I’ve always found that you get a better image if you use the "save" then "send image home" option.

Hi

I find it a bit easier to read if I zoom in, but it does mean you have to move it around a lot.

I think the files from NAA will be just as bad, as I have downloaded a few in the past before Ancestry got them and they look no better.

Sorry I know of no way to download them as one big file, I think it is due to the way Ancestry has set them up.

regards

Robert

It should be borne in mind that the original documents are not easy to read even when you have them in your hands. For the most part they were written in pencil. Many are now faded.

Sometimes better photocopied by TNA than scanned but everyone seems to rely on online sources only.