Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German No. 3 War Hospital at Chapelle

Mangoman

One of the men on out local war memorial received a mortal  'ham shot' to the upper left leg during the fighting around the Ham area of Belgium in March 1918. He was first taken to the German No. 3 War Hospital at Chapelle and then to Limburg P.O.W. Camp, north west of Frankfurt where he eventually died on 16th June 1918.

I have done a Google search for more info on both the P.O.W camp and the hospital but with no luck. Can anyone supply me with information on the Camp and Hospital please? 

Can you give the name please?

Ham is in France, not in Belgium...

I would presume he was taken to the Kriegslazarett in La Capelle (Aisne).

Jan

This is what Wikipedia says "Ham is a municipality located in the Belgian province of Limburg". The man's name is Frederick William Preddy.

25 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

This is what Wikipedia says "Ham is a municipality located in the Belgian province of Limburg". The man's name is Frederick William Preddy.

I'm sorry, but blindly following google, wikipedia (or a GPS) will often take you to the totally wrong place... It will definitely be Ham in the Département Somme.

So I have just established.

Since he is buried in La Capelle en Thiérache in France, he will have died in the Kriegslazarett there undoubtedly. The reference to Limburg is just administrative (all information about POWs went via a "parent camp" in Germany).

Jan

Many thanks for your help AOK4. Much appreciated

After extensive treatment he died on 16th. June 1918 in the Limburg P.O.W. Camp, north west of Frankfurt. His body was brought in from the German extension of the Communal Cemetery (Soldatenfriedhof No.2) and re-interred in La Capelle–En-Theirache-Communal Cemetery

10 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

After extensive treatment he died on 16th. June 1918 in the Limburg P.O.W. Camp, north west of Frankfurt. His body was brought in from the German extension of the Communal Cemetery (Soldatenfriedhof No.2) and re-interred in La Capelle–En-Theirache-Communal Cemetery

That is not true! See: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2907500/preddy,-/

He died and was always buried in La Capelle...

Edited by AOK4

I have been following the information passed on to me some time ago by a relative so I will have to correct her also.

1 hour ago, Mangoman said:

I have been following the information passed on to me some time ago by a relative so I will have to correct her also.

As I have told, the information about POWs always passed through "parent camps" in Germany, hence the reference to Limburg. It didn't necessarily mean the POW in question was ever there.