Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are these naval shells???`

trooper30

Hi guys, hope some one can help shed a little light on these 2 shells. I found them going through my great uncles things and had always assumed there were just 2 metal vases as they have been shapped into vases and plated in nickle or silver, not sure which. I wasnt untill I turned them upside down that I realised,  and I think they mabye 6 pounder naval shells, but not sure.  I dont really understand what all the stamping on the base of them means, and would love to know. I would appreciate it a lot if any of you experts could tell me what the base stampings mean? Thanks in advance guys.

shell 1 (1).JPG

shell 1 (2).JPG

They look like they may be 6 Pounder Hotchkiss cartridge cases (not shells), but a measurement across the base would help. The first one was accepted on 12/06/1899 and was reloaded once. It also has a No.2 MkIII screw-in primer made by Royal Laboratories in March 1915. The second was made by the Birmingham Small Arms Company, was accepted on 12/07/1897 and was reloaded twice. It has the older type push-in primer.

Thats great, thanks for the info, Hotchkiss cartridge, Mmmmmm interesting, as you asked here are a few pics of there measurements Sorry about my feet in the pic :-). Thanks again

shell 4 (2).JPG

shell 4 (1).JPG

Yes. 6 Pounder Hotchkiss cases are 3” across the base.

They started off as naval, but probably the most famous use of 6 Pounder Hotchkiss guns was in the WWI British tanks.