Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sapper Imison

stephen p nunn

Morning all. I am keen to find out about a Royal Engineer's Sapper with the unusual name of Arthur Ernest IMISON (service number 87432). I know that he is buried at Essex Farm Cemetery and he was with the 39th Div, Signal Coy. He was the son of Richard George and Rosa Maria Imison of 26 Motson Road, South Norwood, London. Hew was only 18 when he died on 12/6/1917 and his parents paid for an extra inscription on his grave. Does anyone know anything about the circumstances of his death please?

Thank you.

Stephen.

Stephen

Your best bet is the unit war diary which can be downloaded from TNA site. The document reference is WO95/2576/3.

TR

Hi Stephen,

The diary entry appears to read:

"SIGNAL DUGOUT in Canal Bank hit direct by 5.9 shell, 6 of 116 Bde Section in dugout of which 3 killed and 3 wounded (E [?] died of wounds)".

The other 2 men who were killed appear to be:

image.png.fe970871789142275c969bbe2fcfa256.png

Regards

Chris

FMP has Surrey Recruitment Registers 1908-1933.

First name(s)        A. E.

Last name            Imison.

Age                     19years 6 months.   ( Keen to join up lied about his age)

Birth place           Battersea.

Occupation         Clerk.

Attestation date  26April 1915.

Attestation place Kingston on Thames.

Height                 5ft 4.5 ins.

Weight                117lbs.

Remarks             26 Notson Road, South Norwood, S E.

Bob

Edited by little bob

Chris and Bob - thank you so much. The picture is building about this young casualty.

Best regards.

Stephen.

Thanks to Pals on this Forum and some research of my own, this is the known story about Arthur so far:

Arthur Ernest IMISON

Sapper (87432)

Royal Engineers (39th Div. Signal Coy.)

Birth and Early Life

Born on 19th September 1898 in Battersea, the son of Richard George and Rosa Maria Imison of 26 Motson Road, South Norwood, London.

In 1901 he was aged 2 and living with his parents Richard (22, a bricklayer’s labourer) and Rosa (23) and, his older brother; Wilfred (3) and mother’s brother, Edwin Walls Ims (18) at 17 Duffield Street, Battersea.

In 1911 he was aged 12 and living with his parents Richard (32, a laundry carman) and  Rosa (33) and his older brother; Wilfred (13) and mother’s brother, Edwin Walls Ims (28, a printer compositor) at 5A Frouse Street, Wandsworth Road SW (Battersea).

Employment

Before the war Arthur worked as a booking clerk at East Dulwich Railway Station.

Enlistment

According to the Surrey Recruitment Registers (1908-1933) Arthur attested at Kingston on Thames on the 26th April 1915. He said that he was 19 years and 6 months, but had lied about his age as he was keen to join up. At the time he was 5ft 4½ inches tall and weighed 117lbs.

Active Service

The War Diary for the 12/6/1917 reads: “SIGNAL DUGOUT in Canal Bank hit direct by 5.9 shell, 6 of 116 Bde Section in dugout of which 3 killed (these were Sappers Leggett, Pereira and Imison) and 3 wounded…".

Death and Burial

Died on 12/6/1917 (aged 18)

Buried at Essex Farm Cemetery and his parents paid for an extra inscription on his grave: “HIS LOSS SEEMS GREATER AND HIS MEMORY DEARER AS THE YEARS ROLL BY”.

Entitled to the General Service medal pair (British War and Victory medals).

Can anyone add anything please?

Thank you.

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

His Soldiers' Effects records show that a war gratuity payment was "not admissible". The reason seems to be that he was a "Postal Servant". I might well be wrong, but I seem to recall reading (probably one of Craig's' posts), that where postal workers were being paid at their civilian pay rates, it negated a War Gratuity entitlement. Hopefully, Craig may pick up on this topic and confirm, or otherwise.

image.png.6b0acec3bed44942224e4d3a39e9a4d9.png

image.png.f0d0fb459bad90daa17e3364a8b4321a.png

Images sourced from Findmypast - Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects collection

Regards

Chris

38 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi Stephen,

His Soldiers' Effects records show that a war gratuity payment was "not admissible". The reason seems to be that he was a "Postal Servant". I might well be wrong, but I seem to recall reading (probably one of Craig's' posts), that where postal workers were being paid at their civilian pay rates, it negated a War Gratuity entitlement. Hopefully, Craig may pick up on this topic and confirm, or otherwise.

image.png.6b0acec3bed44942224e4d3a39e9a4d9.png

image.png.f0d0fb459bad90daa17e3364a8b4321a.png

Images sourced from Findmypast - Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects collection

Regards

Chris

Spot on Chris. Because they retained full wages the government made sure they didn't pay twice.

Craig

• Admin

UK Railway Employment Record shows his occupation as a booking clerk

joined 13th April 1914, resigned 23rd April 1915, enlisted 3 days later

Enlistment

According to the Surrey Recruitment Registers (1908-1933) Arthur attested at Kingston on Thames on the 26th April 1915. He said that he was 19 years and 6 months, but had lied about his age as he was keen to join up. At the time he was 5ft 4½ inches tall and weighed 117lbs.

The anomaly is where does his postal service employment fit in  (as effects register)

with the railways?  Im curious Just asking

Ray

26 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

UK Railway Employment Record shows his occupation as a booking clerk

joined 13th April 1914, resigned 23rd April 1915, enlisted 3 days later

Enlistment

According to the Surrey Recruitment Registers (1908-1933) Arthur attested at Kingston on Thames on the 26th April 1915. He said that he was 19 years and 6 months, but had lied about his age as he was keen to join up. At the time he was 5ft 4½ inches tall and weighed 117lbs.

The anomaly is where does his postal service employment fit in  (as effects register)

with the railways?  Im curious Just asking

Ray

Good question Ray - I'll have a look myself and see if I can spot anything (so far I've only seen the post made by Chris with the snippets of the effects)

Craig

There are 2 records in the effects - Chris has posted the relevant gratuity entry that was made to each record. (The 'PW' entry noted for £3 is the Service Gratuity (Pay Warrant Gratuity as sometimes known) for, up to, 3 qualifying years of service).

Curious though. For whatever reason the regimental paymasters believed he did not qualify for a war gratuity and informed the effects branch of this. The effects branch then noted the 'postal servant' comment as the reason - I can't see where they'd have that information other than via the W5070 from (or subsequent enquiry to) the regimental paymaster. Why the paymaster made the calculation they did is another matter.

Craig

Thanks all - how odd about the Gratuity? Were any other effects listed and returned home? Has anyone seen a picture of Arthur?

Thanks for all your continued support.

Best wishes.

Stephen.

4 minutes ago, stephen p nunn said:

Thanks all - how odd about the Gratuity? Were any other effects listed and returned home? Has anyone seen a picture of Arthur?

Thanks for all your continued support.

Best wishes.

Stephen.

Certainly odd - I think it's safe to say I've worked with more gratuities than anyone else on here and it's the first time I've seen one like that where there was no obvious link to postal service.

Don't get confused by the name of the 'Soldier's Effects Register' - it dealt only with financial affairs, not physical effects.

Craig

At the start of the war a lot of GPO trained and employed telephonists were pulled out of battalions they were members of to man the RE Signals but there's nothing to say he was a Post Office employer.

Doesn't fully explain the 'postal servant' note but there is however a relatively obscure part of Army Order 17 of 1919 – Schedule (as made) - which adds a clause to the War Gratuity that I have never seen used before. As it's so obscure it's possible someone just assumed it was down to being a postal servant that he didn't qualify  ...

12 The following periods of service will not reckon as qualifying service for the purposes of the gratuity:-

(c) Any period of service during which the soldier has been continuously in receipt of full civil wages, except, as may be otherwise provided by the Army Council.

Do we know if any of his colleagues who did the same job at the railway were also killed so we can see what they are marked as ?

Craig

It looks like he was with the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. I am aware there is a memorial to the staff who were killed in the Great War, but I am not sure he is on it?

Regards.

Stephen.

Arthurs entry from Croydon and the great war  (page 325)

imison.JPG.71d34dde667ba2686d3bd0d633a50bbf.JPG

although no photo 

shown as employed with the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. as Stephen's post  no 16

Ray

Excellent Ray - many thanks.

Stephen.

11 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Arthurs entry from Croydon and the great war  (page 325)

imison.JPG.71d34dde667ba2686d3bd0d633a50bbf.JPG

although no photo 

shown as employed with the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. as Stephen's post  no 16

Ray

Hi Ray - can you think of any other source that I might search for a photograph please?

Thanks.

S.

I have just discovered that his name is included on the war memorial in the Church of St Philip with St Bartholomew, St Philips Square, Battersea. (An elaborate war memorial for parishioners and Old Boys of Tennyson Street School (just around the corner, now a TV studio). The memorial was moved f... rom a side chapel into the place formerly occupied by the organ. Panels, with two columns of names on each, are on either side of a Crucifixion scene. The church is no longer Anglican but is a place of worship for the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo).

10 hours ago, stephen p nunn said:

can you think of any other source that I might search for a photograph please?

Thanks.

Most of the large railway companies Great Western Railway and the North Eastern Railways spring to mind

printed photographs of the fallen in the railway staff magazines, many thousands  of photographs of fallen railway employees can be found in the magazines

many also produced roll of honour books after the war

whether this was also true for the the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. I don't know 

The national railway museum may be able to assist with your query

A search of the local newspapers where Arthur resided may also produce a resulting photo

the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. do have a memorial to the fallen  HERE

Ray

Thanks Ray - that's odd - he isn't on there?

Regards.

Stephen.

Hi,

50 minutes ago, stephen p nunn said:

that's odd - he isn't on there?

Perhaps as he resigned before joining up, as an ex-employee he didn't qualify for inclusion?

Regards

Chris

Just had a quick nosey

From The National Railway Museum Here

Indicates there are four memorial to The  London, Brighton and South Coast Railway.

Text from the above  link 

London Brighton & South Coast Railway booklet "War
Memorials," 1921. Contains descriptions of the memorials and the
unveiling ceremonies at London Bridge, Brighton, Victoria and
Lancing, and a roll of honour list of the names on the memorials.

Ray

Thanks both. A bit more searching for me I think.

Regards.

S.