Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Percy Cyril Steadman TF1118, 1/4th Bn., R. Sussex Reg., Died of wounds on Hospital Ship, 29 August 1915

Malcolm12hl

Private Percy Cyril Steadman, TF/1118, 1/4th Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment landed with his battalion at Suvla Bay on 9 August 1915, was wounded on 23 August, and died of his wounds on 29 August.  The local Surrey newspaper reported that he died of his wounds on a hospital ship on its way to Malta and was buried at sea.  I would be very interested to know if it is possible to identify the hospital ship involved.

2 hours ago, Malcolm12hl said:

Private Percy Cyril Steadman, TF/1118, 1/4th Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment landed with his battalion at Suvla Bay on 9 August 1915, was wounded on 23 August, and died of his wounds on 29 August.  The local Surrey newspaper reported that he died of his wounds on a hospital ship on its way to Malta and was buried at sea.  I would be very interested to know if it is possible to identify the hospital ship involved.

It was the Neuralia according to the soldier's effects records.

Craig

Craig,

Thank you very much for identifying the hospital ship as the NEURALIA.  For some reason Percy Steadman did not come up on my search of the Soldier's Effects collection, so I am glad that you found him.

Malcolm

You can access them on Anc*stry.

Try using the Military section as a Search parameter and it should turn up quite a few records, Soldiers Died, sometimes an entry in De Ruvigny's as well as Medal Index and Rolls.

Have a go and come back if you haven't succeeded.

Edited by KevinBattle

1 hour ago, Malcolm12hl said:

Craig,

Thank you very much for identifying the hospital ship as the NEURALIA.  For some reason Percy Steadman did not come up on my search of the Soldier's Effects collection, so I am glad that you found him.

Malcolm

He is not indexed correctly (I have submitted a correction but Ancestry will update it on the 32nd of Never). Here's his entry - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=doM269&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&qh=gx/v6%2BAlAhHkSfzLC0TGgA%3D%3D&db=UKArmyRegistersEffects&gss=angs-d&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&gsfn=percy&gsfn_x=0&gsln=cyril&gsln_x=0&MSAV=1&uidh=784&pcat=39&fh=0&h=712650&recoff=3 4&ml_rpos=1

Craig

No wonder I couldn't find him - thank you again Craig.

My history of British India Steam Navigation says that NEURALIA was trooping up to June 1915, so she must have been a fairly recent conversion to a hospital ship in August.

Thank you gentlemen.  It is actually quite a good representation of the Neuralia too!

Malcolm