Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Shell Filling Factory No.9 Banbury

Stanley_C_Jenkins

I have been looking into the history of National Shell Filling Factory No.9, which was situated about one mile to the east of Banbury, and employed around 2,000 people. I am wondering, however, where these people lived, and how they travelled to and from work. Although the factory was rail-connected, with a siding link to the London & North Western Railway, the post-war (1922) OS map shows no sign of a passenger station. Could some of the work force have been housed in temporary hutted encampments? Or did they walk to work each day?

Edited by Stanley_C_Jenkins

Try to contact Stephen Barker. Easiest way is via his Facebook or Twitter accounts, but if you do not use these you should be able to track him down through the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum. He's researched the factory and leads walking tours of the site.

Edited by Chris_Baker

You could try contacting the Banbury Museum, for further information.  They had an exhibition a few years ago on No.9 Filling Factory.

Also they did a field trip a year or so ago to the site, which I was unable to attend. Would think most of the workforce were local, and would have walked into work.

Mike.

I am coming to the conclusion that the employeers of the filling factory probably walked to and from work.